We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area/hotel?

scotland
Level Contributor
28 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Which area/hotel?

We will be spending 8 nights in Tokyo, arriving from Kyoto. We are a couple in our 30s who plan to sightsee around Tokyo and take day trips to Nikko and Hakone amongst others. Happy to use all transport methods to get around. We're not too fussed about clubbing but would like options for eating and drinks close by without having to rely on transport after a busy sightseeing day. We will have a few days left on JR Pass but this will end probably on Day 3. I have found good deals on the following hotels but am struggling with ideas of travel and surrounding area information and am hoping someone can help me make the final decision.

B Akasaka - sound as though it's within walking distance of things to do in the evening? Is this the case? Not close to train line - is this an issue as its close to subway?

Gracery Tamachi - close to train line. Is this area too far out and quiet?

Grand Arc Hanzomon - although it has positive reviews is this area still too far out?

Thanks in advance.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
55,310 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which area/hotel?

Shinjuku and Shibuya are considered the most popular and happening areas. Try to find a hotel there.

Level Contributor
1,667 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which area/hotel?

Nowhere is too 'far out'. Tokyo is a huge labyrinth and you are within it, if you get my drift...

All neighbourhoods in Tokyo have their hidden gems - it's up to you to discover them - they may be down side streets, in basements, or up an elevator in some non-descript building - that's a major part of the pleasure of being in Tokyo - discovering these places.

All the hotels you cite are pretty much in business areas - which can on the surface appear soulless but business also means eating & drinking establishments so there should be plenty of these around for you to discover. It also depends on what you like to do in the evenings - everyone is different.

Akasaka is pretty 'corporate' & known for more upmarket eating options but there's the 'Sacas' commercial complex there nowadays which should have lots of eating & shopping options.

Hanzomon is right near the Imperial Palace - so you can walk around there.

Tamachi is old 'Edo' or the old Tokyo water area - you'll see remnants of Tokyo's history as a canal city & close to JR Yamanote line, so easy to get anywhere in Tokyo from there - here's two bloggers views of Tamachi

http://blog.japantwo.com/2011/07/31/3898

…blogspot.com.au/2009/08/tamachi.html

Or you could take Sammyfloyd's options & go with the crowd.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which area/hotel?

I've stayed at the B in Akasaka and yes there are eating places close by, the train line became annoying as I'd have to transfer often...

I'd recommend staying in shinjuku. While the hotel may be a little more expensive then in Akasaka, it's is SO much more convenient and there are many many places to shop and eat at yor doorstep. Try Sunroute plaza - good rooms at good price.

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,233 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which area/hotel?

Elly, thanks for those links, very interesting!

OP, I opted for Asakusa (Blue Wave Inn). I have no idea if that location is convenient, but it's close enough to train and subway stations and hopefully a feel of 'old Japan'....(also very touristy, I guess ^_^)

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,380 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which area/hotel?

Asakusa is a nice place to stay, although it does take some time to get to Shinjuku and Shibuya (25-30 minutes to Shinjuku by TX+Toei Oedo or by TX+Sobu Local+Chuo Rapid; 40 minutes to Shibuya on Tokyo Metro Ginza Line).

The advantages of stayig Asakusa are: 1) you get a closer view of the traditional Tokyo neighborhood; 2) lots of cheap & good eateries are there; 3) although busy with tourists, it has a relaxing atmosphere; 4) accommodations are cheaper; 5) Tokyo Skytree is a welcoming addition; Quick & easy access to eastern central Tokyo (Ueno, Akihabara, Maunouchi, Ginza, Tsukiji); 6) Good access to both Narita and Haneda airports.

I passed by the Blue Wave Inn the other day on my bike. I don't know how's inside, but you'd probably enjoy it, as it's right beside the temple and shrine of Asakusa. I like riding my bike through the Nakamise Market and inside the Sensoji compound after everyone has gone home. I also like to relax either at ROX spa or Jakotsu-yu (sento with black onsen water) after work in Asakusa.

Shinjuku and Shibuya is good, but I am not sure if they are indeed best places to stay. I tend to suggest Asakusa, Ueno, Akihabara, and Ginza more often than other people.

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,233 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which area/hotel?

Thanks, Yobeekool-san...I'm very happy with that find and confident I'll stick to the booking ^_^

Edited: 17 June 2012, 12:44
scotland
Level Contributor
28 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which area/hotel?

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. Kept going round in circles trying to decide. It's clear that there are pros and cons to all Tokyo areas but I'm now reassured that as long as there's a metro or train nearby then we should be fine. Will look at our plans for Tokyo again but we''ve left it last minute so it may come down to hotel availability.

Thanks again.

8. Re: Which area/hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 05:41