We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Osaka & Tokyo

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Queensland
Level Contributor
39 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Osaka & Tokyo

Hi,

I am going to Japan from Australia in April 2013.. I will be travelling by myself and was wanting advise on what to do in both Osaka & Tokyo. Approximately how much spending money will i need? Note: All accommodation, Breakfast & Lunch is paid for.. I will be spending around 6 days in Osaka staying with my cousin ... then doing a tour... When the tour ends i will be in Tokyo for a further 7 days before flying out to Vietnam..

I also don't speak much Japanese... Will i have any trouble getting help on directions etc?

tokyo
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
4,564 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Osaka & Tokyo

Looks like you got accommodation, breakfast and lunch covered.

The only things you need is money for:

1. Transportation - Cost of trasportation on trains is dependent on how far you travel.

Local transportation in the city is on average 500-800 yen per day (give or take depending on how much you travel in one day in one city).

Short-medium range distance between cities that are close to each other might average about 500-2000yen one way (depends on the two places).

Long distance between Major cities, eg, getting from Tokyo to Osaka and back could be 13000yen one way or less depending on method of transportation. You mentioned a tour? not sure if the costs from Tokyo-Osaka are already covered in your budget.

2. Snack/sDinner - Depends on what you eat, drink, party. Can range anything as cheap as 500yen to 5000yen to 10,000-20,000 yen if you went out partying. Just depends on what you do (like anywhere else in the world).

3. Gifts/souvenirs - depends on what you purchase

4. Misc entrance fees (depending on the place you visit)

The trains stations etc have maps, announcements/displays that are in Japanese-Romaji/English.

Also if you do a bit of pre-planning on the places you want to go to (eg train station names, train lines etc), getting around shouldn't be difficult at all.

Japan-guide.com helps with that.

Wellington
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Osaka & Tokyo

Many if not all of the Japanese you meet will have basic English. Keep sentences short, don't use slang. Much signage is in English or at least Roman script. You'll be fine, people are very helpful.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Osaka & Tokyo

Hi there you will have no language problems in japan. Most people u come across will be more than happy to help you. Even if they dont speak much english they can certainly read it so if you show someone an english map they will go out of their way to help you find where you need to go. Transportation in japan is amazing and its very easy to get around. If you are staying in Osaka then do take advantage of the short distance by train (only 15 mins) between osaka and Kyoto. Kyoto is stunning and you may want to spend at least 3 of your days going to see some of the sights. One thing i always recommend is the walk in kyoto talk in english tour. It takes palce on Monday, wednesday and friday from outside the train station and its a 5 hour walking tour which will take you to some really interesting sites including some cottage industries like a fan making place. Its very leisurely. You will also get a chance to enjoy some amazing sushi and some sweets. The best part though are the guides. We had emi. They are amazing and will tell you so much about japanese culture and traditions it will bring the whole experience alive for you. The tour also ends at the kiyumizu dera temple which is one of kyotos main attractions. I would also recommend at least a 1/2 day in nara which is easy to reach from osaka. In osaka one of the best experiences i had was an afternoon at the aquarium. Its the largest one in japan.

have a great trip

angie

www.angietravels.com

Queensland
Level Contributor
39 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Osaka & Tokyo

Thank You everyone for the advise.. I have booked the tour... Now all i have to do is get the flights and start saving :P

I definitely plan on going to Kyoto.. My cousin and her husband are planning to take me around to the best parts of Osaka. I will also look at adding Nara onto the list.. I'm more going to Japan for the Landscapes, architecture and culture rather than shopping but i guess i will end up doing alot of that too!!

I'm looking at staying at Asakusa Hostel or Sakura Hostel in Tokyo.. Does anyone recommend them? I would be paying the extra to get a private room.. Tokyo is ridiculously expensive for accommodation... As long as the hostel is clean and the bed is comfortable i'm happy!

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,924 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Osaka & Tokyo

Sakura Hostel in Asakusa might fit into your needs, although I think Super Hotel, Toyoko Inn, Comfort Hotel, Mystays and Flexstay (Weekly Mansion Tokyo), Keio Presso Inn, APA Hotel chains might provide better accommodation with not so different price.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Osaka & Tokyo

I styed three nights at the Tokyo Khaosan Ninja hostel and paid less than $100 for three nights. For that you will get a sealed of private bunk room which is basically a bed inside a wooden shed like structure. They are two stories high and there were several in the room. Sounds weirb but they were very comfortable and you could lock it during the day while you were out.

7. Re: Osaka & Tokyo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2013, 10:16