We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kyoto-1 day trip

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
9 posts
Save Topic
Kyoto-1 day trip

Hi,

I would like to know is it possible to go to the below places in a day from morning till late evening.

- Togetshu Bridge

- sagano

- Kiyomizu temple

- Heian Shrine

helpful info needed

Steph

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,140 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kyoto-1 day trip

Are you coming from Tokyo on a bullet train?

Not sure if that is the case, but I cannot say the places you mentioned are not doable in a single day; yet yours will be a whirlwind tour: arrive in JR Kyoto first thing in the mornign>>JR Saga Arashiyama>>cab it to Toriimoto>>walk down through the Adashino Nenbutsuji-Gioji-Tenryuji corridor >>Togetsu Bridge>>Keifuku Tram plus Subway Tozai Line, or cab it all the way, to Heian Shrine>>cab to Chion-in on Worshiper's Lane>>traverse Maruyama Park>>Ninenzaka to Sanneizaka to finally Kiyomizu, phew...oh, and you get back to Tokyo??

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,924 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kyoto-1 day trip

Heian Shrine might not that be interesting, as it's a relatively modern construction; I'd rather recommend Fushimi Inari Shrine or Kitano Tenmangu Shrine instead...

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,924 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kyoto-1 day trip

Kiyomizu Temple is under restoration so you might prefer to visit other temples in Higashiyama area- like Nanzenji or Chion-In. Kinkakuji (Golden Pavillion) is the other symbol of Kyoto which you might be interested in. Visiting Tenryuji and the bamboo woods next to it, or Daikakuji in Arashiyama should be nice, too.

The important thing is that you take the earliest possible train from Tokyo and the last train back.

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,166 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kyoto-1 day trip

If I had only one day in Kyoto (which as a daytrip from Tokyo sounds very intense..?), I'd opt to walk the streets of Gion, Ishibei Koji street, visit the Kiyomizu temple (One of Japan's most important temples?) and the Kennenji Temple (a lovely Zen temple complex!) and then I would make sure to visit the Golden Pavilion before it closes...some people are derogative about this temple, but when all is said and done, it is one of a kind. Also, I found their o-mamori are quite powerful ^_^

(maybe this temple would be best visited first, so you can spend the rest of the day in east Kyoto)

EDIT: ah, Yobeekool-san: great minds think alike LOL

Edited: 30 June 2012, 14:21
Kuala Lumpur...
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kyoto-1 day trip

thanks a lot for the helpful info. I'm gonna digest first n make some decision.

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,140 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Kyoto-1 day trip

Forgot to say this:

If this is your lifetime event in Kyoto, your above-said itinerary will mean a lot to you. Yet if not, you may want to think better of it to rearrange and give it a more postive twist in such a short time. Kyoto is worth coming any long distance to see, and yes, a whole lot of other places unmentioned can wait this time around, IMO.

But one thing I've got on my mind is, umm, you may not have ample time to hold it dear what Kyoto has to offer, or what you'd want it to offer to you. Was it, for example, a dear old temple building anywhere that aroused your interest in the first place, or was it a Japanese-type garden attached to it? Or was it the background landscape possibly? I may be wrong, and I'm not sure if you're into this type of thing, but if you want to treasure your time here and make it ever-lasting memory, I suggest you spare some time for visiting a nice Japanese garden the city can boast. In that sense, Heian Shrine Garden comes to my mind first, a marvel of a grand pond-strolling-type created by a modern garden architect called Jihei Ogawa, alias Ueji. If you like so, enter the gate and walk on the gravels, and then head to the farthest left-hand side buiding. Picture this: trees in shades of dancing lush green with lake waters reflecting the image of a chic gazebo, an example of his pursuing dream/theme in water plus landscape. You sure would like this place.

Lastly, you can't go wrong with Kiyomizu. Last time I went, the restoration *green tarp* didn't put me off actually; maybe it's somewhere around next year, when the pillars supporting the mail hall from under the belly will be strengthened. So meanwhile you'll still have great fun visiting here; it's worthwhile observing the trees and hills looking as if they were dyed in vermillion at the time of dusk, IMO.

Enjoy your trip!

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,924 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kyoto-1 day trip

Heian Shine's garden should be nice; I might have overemphasized that the building is new. Arashiyama's Tenryuji has a splendid garden with pond. Chion-In's garden is wonderful -but it is now closed because repair of a nearby building is underway.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kyoto-1 day trip

If your one day in Kyoto happens to be on a Monday, Wednesday or friday then i would highly reccomend going on the walk in kyoto talk in english tour. It will not only help you get a lot out of your day but you will get loads of info about japan and its traditions and culture. The guides (we had emi) are superb and will really tell you anything you ask be it about kyoto or about japan. The tour starts at 10am from outside the train station and takes about 5 hours. Its goes a t a leisurly pace and includes a stop for some fantastic free sushi and some confectionary. The tours ends at about 3pm minutes away from the kiyumizu dera temple which gives you plenty of time to explore the temple and some of the windy little streets in the surrounding area. If you still have time before your train back then head to Gior which is fantastic at night and its the best place to spot geisha. One day is very little for japans most visited city but you will get a lot out of your day by doing the above tour.

have a great day

angie

www.angietravels.com

9. Re: Kyoto-1 day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2013, 10:16