We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Locations/Ideas for Marriage Proposal - help!

Hertford, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Locations/Ideas for Marriage Proposal - help!

Posting under a different user name for obvious reasons - myself and my partner are going to Tokyo in December and I thought it would be the perfect place to propose. We have been together for many years and the time seems right. However, having never been to Tokyo before I was hoping for some advice please!

She isn't one for gradeur/too public, or a big build up. I'd also prefer to avoid restaurants as too public, and keep it in Tokyo. My ideas are:

In one of the gardens/parks, perhaps Happo-en and try and arrange it to tie in with a private tea ceramony and have them deliver it. There's lots of other parks but unsure on areas etc.

Tokyo tower - but perhaps overdone and too public?

On a boat/water taxi - maybe too inpersonal/tricky?

Perhaps on a cycle tour and try and arrange something with the tour guide when we stop en-route - but may be called off in the event of rain and tours are limited and I'd like to do it asap so we can relax for the rest of the holiday!

Suggestions very much appreciated!!

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,189 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Locations/Ideas for Marriage Proposal - help!

>>In one of the gardens/parks, perhaps Happo-en and try and arrange it to tie in with a private tea ceramony and have them deliver it.<<

Not really recommended, in my personal opinion. Tea as a form of traditional art with rules and company won't go well with your intimate and important proposal.

Tokyo Tower- a good suggestion- perhaps so many Japanese have pledged love here, so it won't seem out of place. However, although it's become an icon of Tokyo, the tower is a bit old built in 1958. The open air observation deck of Tokyo City View in Roppongi, or the new Tokyo Sky Tree in Asakusa might be considered. Tokyo Sky Tree is taller but depending on weather conditions, the observation gets covered in clouds. Also, the surrounding areas are older parts of Tokyo with less tall buildings nearby. It might be a better idea to pick Tokyo Tower or Tokyo City View's open deck as they will be less crowded than Tokyo Sky Tree.

Boat/ Water taxi: I can't really recommend it, as the view from the Tokyo Bay and Sumida River is not so romantic, IMHO.

Edited: 30 July 2012, 11:24
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,365 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Locations/Ideas for Marriage Proposal - help!

If money is not a concern, consider taking a romantic and memorable helicopter ride.

http://www.excel-air.com/scene/scene03/

Coolum Beach...
Level Contributor
897 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Locations/Ideas for Marriage Proposal - help!

There is a lovely garden with romantic corners on the way to Chinsanzo restaurant at the back of the Four Seasons Hotel (Meguro?).

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
320 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Locations/Ideas for Marriage Proposal - help!

> back of the Four Seasons Hotel (Meguro?)

It's in Mejirodai (Bunkyo-ku IIRC).

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Locations/Ideas for Marriage Proposal - help!

Maybe on one of the ferris wheels - spectacular views. Hopefully one of the 'local experts' will jump in here and advise which one would be better.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,384 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Locations/Ideas for Marriage Proposal - help!

Some ideas:

East Garden (Higashi Gyoen) at Imperial Palace (but not at lunch hour when it's crowded)

Rikugien Garden (see www.Frommers.com for a description)

Tokyo Tower is a bit retro, a great choice if she's a fan of Japanese movies.

The "Truth Corridor" at Venus Fort shopping center, Odaiba, would be an offbeat choice.

See http://www.flickr.com/photos/48039124@N02/4477466475/

See also: wedding-marriage-proposals.com/creative-marr…

Hertford, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Locations/Ideas for Marriage Proposal - help!

I very much like the look of the gardens by the Four Seasons, and also Rikugien Garden.

Thanks for the tip ref abandoning the tea ceromony idea, last thing I want to do it cause offense to anyone so good idea not to do that!

Still unsure regarding Tokyo Tower/Sky Tree. I cannot book access to the skytree as the booking site is Japanese so don't want to be hoping for that, will almost certainly go up the Tokyo Tower and the open air deck of Tokyo City View so may be good to go up and gauge atmosphere and judge whether time is right or go to a garden instead.

Other suggestions welcome, just checking out the truth corridor/ferris wheel ideas at the moment!

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,189 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Locations/Ideas for Marriage Proposal - help!

>>last thing I want to do it cause offense to anyone so good idea not to do that!<<

No, it won't be an offence to anyone, and people around you would be happy and congratulating you. It's just that tea "ceremony" in Japan is a "ceremony" developed from Zen Buddhism and a group art form with quite austere discipline and rules, so I'm afraid it would not work out well for you.

Tea ceremony : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJQFlwrzLc8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXv4L6pHefo

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_tea_ceremony

Edited: 31 July 2012, 13:19
Level Contributor
1,667 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Locations/Ideas for Marriage Proposal - help!

Just remember it'll be Winter & in December the gardens won't be verdant & green things may look quite bare.

Having said that I think your idea is great - perhaps not during tea ceremony but why not over lunch or dinner in a Japanese style restaurant? It's normal in most Japanese restaurants to have small private dining rooms where it would be appropriate for you to propose and the staff would be happy to assist - you should mention it at the time of booking.

I suggest the Hotel New Otani as it has a beautiful 400 year old garden with stream & bridges - it's a popular choice of Tokyo's well-heeled as a wedding venue. It has quite a number of leading restaurants. Many are either located in the garden or look out onto the garden. It would be easy to organise & make a reservation. Look at the website links below.

newotani.co.jp/en/…index.html

newotani.co.jp/en/…index.html

newotani.co.jp/en/tokyo/restaurant/index.html

Edited: 31 July 2012, 14:14
Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
6,315 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Locations/Ideas for Marriage Proposal - help!

How about at the Disney Resorts? Mickey and Minnie could be your witness!

Maybe they have something for Marriage Proposals?!

disneyweddings.jp/english/dhm/pro/index.html

Good luck and congratulations!