We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to go in Japan

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
sydney
11 posts
Save Topic
where to go in Japan

Hi Im thinking of going to Japan Dec 12 but I have no idea how to make the most of around 10 days. I have two boys 15 and 17yrs , could you please advise.

Sheree

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: where to go in Japan

If your sons are the least bit interested in electronics (particularly gaming) and or comics, you must take them to Akihabara.

A side trip to Hiroshima offers a good history lesson. You can get there in a few hours if you take the Nozomi line of the Shinkansen (bullet train) which is an experience in and of itself.

Go to Harajuku on Sat. or Sunday and take in the sights.

Would you reconsider and go during baseball season?

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,165 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: where to go in Japan

What is the official baseball season in Japan?

I went third week of November last year and was lucky enough to catch a neighbourhood baseball game which was fun to watch ^_^

Kanagawa...
Level Contributor
103 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: where to go in Japan

Two boys? Iga-ryū Ninja Museum, easy :-)

In Kyoto, I've stayed near the station three times (twice at Dormy Inn Ekimae and once in the Hotel Granvia attached to the train station). The Granvia offered the great advantage of being attached to the neighboring post office, underground Porta Mall and lots of food options, in addition to a handy place to catch city buses, subways, and local trains to Fushimi Inari, Nara, etc. The Granvia was also beautifully decorated for Christmas when I visited, and I was even given a Christmas-themed welcome gift :-) (see my review here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g298564-d107…

Can you give an idea of what your sons are interested in seeing/doing?

Coolum Beach...
Level Contributor
870 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: where to go in Japan

The magical aspect of Kyoto - and many other places in Japan - is that when you enter an important site, most of the time the outside world is not apparent. Thoughtfully constructed gardens shroud you from the real world.

All our family stays in Kyoto have been based near the station for the reasons Leagle provided. The Kyoto Tower is a business hotel, just across the bus station precinct from Kyoto station, down the star scale from the Granvia and priced accordingly. It was quite adequate for our needs.

The plus from having 3 million people in Kyoto is that the public transport system is very good. You can get within walking distance of most sites relatively easily by bus, metro or JR train.

In my view the Gold Pavilion, Kinkakuji, is a great place for a westerner to visit first. However many other places are high impact. Enjoy your visit!

Edited: 20 August 2012, 23:57
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,279 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: where to go in Japan

Frommer's Japan is a practical book, and it clearly marks things that kids might like.

16. Re: where to go in Japan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 07:16