We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guy Eating cheap in Tokyo hotel room

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Parksville
Level Contributor
4 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Guy Eating cheap in Tokyo hotel room

I am renting an apartment in Tokyo for one week. I have fridge, microwave, and hot plate. I plan to eat out and also cook some simple meals in my room to save on $$.

Does anyone have some simple, easy meal ideas that I can prepare in my aptmt. on a hot plate/microwave? Besides ramen noodle bowl which I can do at home.

Suggestions much appreciated.....cheers.....

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,903 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guy Eating cheap in Tokyo hotel room

a) Buy beef package and cook with frozen vegetables and add yakiniku barbecue sauce.

b) Spaghetti or Penne. All sorts of sauce are available in a supermarket or convenience store.

c) Curry (with rice or bread). Powder blocks and ready-to-boil packs can be bought everywhere.

d) Anything you cook at your home is possible (most foodstuff can be bought from a local supermarket and those you'd imagine to be lacking in Japan can be bought easily at department store basement).

Seeing is believing.

Edited: 19 August 2012, 17:22
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,026 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guy Eating cheap in Tokyo hotel room

You can also find all sorts of ready-to-eat foods. The convenience stores have sandwiches and bento (box lunches with assorted goodies). Bakeries have a variety of pastries, some with surprises inside (the thing that looks like a jelly donut probably has curry sauce).. There are also take-out shops. The basements of department stores have all kinds of prepared foods.

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,129 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Guy Eating cheap in Tokyo hotel room

Just to survive, you can buy pre-cooked stuffs so you can bring home and zap them then and there. But stay healthy and enjoy your trip.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guy Eating cheap in Tokyo hotel room

Convenience stores are your answer. That is what a lot of Japanese do. Wide variety, portion sizes are the right size.

Parksville
Level Contributor
4 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guy Eating cheap in Tokyo hotel room

Some very practical and good ideas.....convenience stores...Yes....

And even receipes from Yobeekool.....

All I need now is a used rice cooker.....

Domo !!.....everyone.....can't wait to get lost in Tokyo !! And won't forget to try some real Food -

cheers....

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guy Eating cheap in Tokyo hotel room

Eat ramen out at a ramen joint. It is cheap, delicious and in no way resembles the stuff you eat at home.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,492 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Guy Eating cheap in Tokyo hotel room

curry and rice from 100yen store. you can cook rice with a regular rice cooker.

Or, get microwavable rice in a pack, but that costs more.

Edited: 20 August 2012, 21:11
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,492 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Guy Eating cheap in Tokyo hotel room

I meant to say you can cook rice with a regular POT.

Kanagawa...
Level Contributor
103 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Guy Eating cheap in Tokyo hotel room

Wow, I'm jealous! You get a microwave AND a hot pot? :-) I spent six months living in a dated business hotel with only a teeny fridge and an electric kettle...definitely the most trying aspect of being in Japan!

To get around the lack of cooking facilities, I used to pop over to our local Heiwado and stock up on prepared veggies, tofu, etc. from the grocery store.

I also liked to grab onigiri and inarizushi as quick meals on the go; no heating required and portable to boot. Or zaru soba, especially refreshing in summer.

Pricewise, it still ended up being cheaper than a sit-down meal in a restaurant, and heathier than a lot of (deep-fried) convenience options.

Parksville
Level Contributor
4 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Guy Eating cheap in Tokyo hotel room

thanks for your continuing replies...

Sarah#9: I have rented a small apmt. - so not hotel as suggested....

It doesn't have a hot pot....but a hot plate? and waveoven- small fridge, bathroom, shower and double bed ( not the 1.2m semi-dble).

"local Heiwado" - would that be a small grocery store/chain??

I don't plan to eat a lot of junk food- don't like deep-fried - I eat cheap but healthy. I will be enjoying ramen on the street and exploring yakitori joints but was more interested in what #1. had to offer - i.e recipes that involve real ingredients, simply prepared and cooked on a hot plate or waveoven.

Was especially interested in breakfasts...I don't really like so-called western brkfts ( ham, egg, toast, coffee). An omelette using fresh ingredients giving it a japanese twist would be nice?? Suggestions?

cheers.....everyone.....

P.S. no receipes involving irons and grilled cheese sandwiches. ; )

:Gren r