We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Tokyo map to buy?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Which Tokyo map to buy?

I'm tossing up between two maps to buy for Tokyo:

Tokyo City Atlas, which is 8 years old but a lot lighter;

Getting Around Tokyo pocket atlas, which is from 2011 but bulkier and has info that I don't need (e.g. about Yokohama)

I want a good, detailed map which clearly shows metro exits and names in both English and Japanese.

Any suggestions?

Likely To Sell Out
Mt Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
4,102 Reviews
from US$151.10*
Special Offer
Tokyo Robot Restaurant Cabaret Show...
95 Reviews
from US$58.50*
Mt Fuji Day Trip with Lake Ashi...
921 Reviews
from US$136.50*
Kyoto Rail Tour by Bullet Train from...
300 Reviews
from US$315.80*
Level Contributor
934 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Tokyo map to buy?

> which clearly shows metro exits

then you'd better buy one as new as possible.

ToKyo's Metro line is extending year by year and the connection is very complicated.

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
7,067 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Tokyo map to buy?

Tokyo 8 years ago is quite "ancient" as a couple of subways have been added since then.

Google "Maps for Tokyo" and you'll find many sites which provide online maps. They're for free! Or ask the concierge at your hotel when you get here. They should have decent paper copies that are up-to-date.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
57,260 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Tokyo map to buy?

Indeed, get online maps first. The better ones have important landmarks (shops, hotels, office buildings, etc) that are essential when navigating a Japanese city. It is quite impossible to find an exact address, especially for first-time visitors.

I always just get the free maps from the hotels. They work reasonably well. Bring a compass with you so you know which way you are facing. That will help you find your way on the map.

Level Contributor
113 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Tokyo map to buy?

Free maps are available. Try JNTO web site and offices in Tokyo as they have english speaking folks that will help you get to where you need to go. http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/

You can download train and subway maps and convert them to pdfs if you carry a computer. Train stations are confusing as some of them are huge and multi-levels so understanding which line, which direction, and which railway company. Understand that there are a number of companies that operate train lines and also a separate subway company. They require separate ticketing as well. They all have romaji (english) signs so at least you know which station you are at. Some stations have maps available on-line. I have seen Narita, Shinjuku, and Tokyo station maps online.

I always carry a small compass for orientation. Addresses can be confusing because in many neighborhoods the address is based on who built there first. Look for a posted neighborhood map as it will show the lot numbering.

Even though everyone is in a hurry, people are willing to help you on your way. Younger folks may know some english.

5. Re: Which Tokyo map to buy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2013, 10:16
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor