We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free WiFI all over city?

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,277 posts
199 reviews
Save Topic
Free WiFI all over city?

I am thinking of taking my Ipod touch with me to Japan

so I can use the map Apps for touring around

Now in Tokyo, in downtown on the streets , in most districts

would i be able to get free wifi everywhere i go?

or at least get a form of wifi that would carry over all over the streets in the city?

thanks

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,102 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Free WiFI all over city?

This is a FAQ, perhaps it's something of a city legend.

Most services in this globe is not for free. If it's free, you'll have to eye with suspicion.

You can get wi-fi or wimax almost wherever you go but it's almost always payable by contract. You might get a pocket wifi at the airport.

Edited: 29 September 2012, 13:53
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
7,949 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Free WiFI all over city?

www.rentafonejapan.com/Mobile-Internet.html

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,277 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Free WiFI all over city?

Ok sound good with Mobile internet

i leave for Japan in 4 days, can i get a mobile wifi for my ipod there in Japan, or do i need a device for it to work for me that i have to order?

thanks

like can i just access a login and password service from there in japan?

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,102 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Free WiFI all over city?

If your ipod touch has wi-fi function, yes, most probably, with a mobile wifi and a keycode which you'll be provided upon rental. I own an iPad and become to rather dislike everything Apple offers as they are too heavy and slow for serious purposes, but anyway, it does work with my pocket wi-fi.

Edited: 29 September 2012, 14:19
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,986 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Free WiFI all over city?

1. WiFi all over city: yes

2. Free: yes, for tourists, for 1 day, and 20% for subsequent usage. for example 1600 for 7 days unlimited use

3. It's not WiMax, just plain old WiFi, in stores/cafes etc.

http://300.wi2.co.jp/campaign/visa

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
410 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Free WiFI all over city?

So far I know you can get free wifi at 7-11 (sign up online first), Starbucks (finally) and most JR statiions in Tokyo.

If you want to get a pocket wifi, I recommend this place because of their lower price. Just let them know where you will be staying at and they will delivery it to the place 24 hours before your arrival.

www.globaladvancedcomm.com/pocketwifi.html

Edited: 29 September 2012, 21:33
Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Free WiFI all over city?

Yea i used the pocket wifi from http://www.globaladvancedcomm.com last time i was there worked great you wont have to wast time looking for hotspots. And also means you can use maps on your device if you get lost

Kyoto, Japan
Level Contributor
1,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Free WiFI all over city?

I used McDonald WiFi service provided by Soft Bank, two years ago when I came home from California until the fiber line is installed.

300.wi2.co.jp/campaign/visa/index_pc_en.html

Quality was very poor. Sometimes chopped out in several minutes, and never resumed in a day or so. It seemed to have a bottle neck in the backbone. So I needed to change over to Internet Cafe. Dont know how SoftBank improved the service. Since you need a contract, it is not exactly free, but the cost is definitely cheap. I didnt know Starbacks begin Free WiFi in July this year. Hopefully, it works.

timeout.jp/en/tokyo/feature/5890/Starbucks-l…

Other information obtained in this forum:

http://www.ginza.jp/archives/6277?lang=en

another Free WiFi Spot:

Narita airport departure terminal: I tried on a small table in United departure area in Terminal1.

narita-airport.jp/en/…lan02

Pocket WiFi rental is expensive to me!

http://www.japanmobilerental.com/

Edited: 10 October 2012, 00:43
Singapore
Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Free WiFI all over city?

1. Free wifi at some JR stations and airports:

www.jreast.co.jp/e/pdf/free_wifi_01_e.pdf

2. Free wifi at Starbucks:

starbucks.wi2.co.jp/sp/sma_index_en.html

3. Free one day wifi, pay for subsequent days:

300.wi2.co.jp/campaign/visa/index_pc_en.html

10. Re: Free WiFI all over city?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 07:17