We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daughter has a one night layover at NRT

S. Florida
Level Contributor
80 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Daughter has a one night layover at NRT

My 22-year old daughter has a layover at NRT from 4:30 pm to 1:55 pm the next day. What would you all recommend? She's well-traveled and independent, would love to get a taste of Japan in that short time...but doesn't want to spend much money.

Should she just stay at one of the hotels near the airport with shuttle service? If so, which one? Is there anything she would have a chance to do nearby? Safe for a young female?

Or, should we spend the extra money for her to spend the night in Tokyo? If so, what is recommended?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48,884 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Daughter has a one night layover at NRT

Narita City would be a good option for a visit. An easy commute from NRT.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,443 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Daughter has a one night layover at NRT

Narita city is 12 minutes by train from the airport. Naritasan temple is reached by a stroll along a pedestrian street of restaurants and souvenir shops. This page has links on the temple, transportation and the like: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6400.html

There are two train stations in Narita City--JR and Keisei. The Keisei Narita station (often shown as one word--KEISEINARITA) has more frequent service--about three trains an hour. Here are some hotels near Keisei Narita with good reviews: Richmond Hotel Narita, Comfort Hotel Narita Apa Hotel Keisei Narita Ekimae. They're listed here, along with other hotels in the city and airport area: tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g298161-Narita_Chiba_…

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
24,586 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Daughter has a one night layover at NRT

>>>Or, should we spend the extra money for her to spend the night in Tokyo? If so, what is recommended?<<<

Yes, you really should. How many times in a life time do you think your daughter is going to have a chance to spend a night in Tokyo? Take the NEX train to Shibuya and spend a night. It'll be an unforgettable night. Japan is a very safe country. There is no need to worry about her safety provided she uses common sense and precautions.

http://www.geobeats.com/video/76a45b/shibuya

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,510 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Daughter has a one night layover at NRT

Narita is best - nice little town with shrine and old shops etc.

If the times you mention are her flight arrival times, you can add 90 mins/2 hours to each for customs and check-in - so she wouldn't get to Tokyo till middle of the evening, and she'd have to leave by 10.30 the next morning to be out at the airport again.

Narita :-) much easier. A taste of Japan.

She might also like to register for the "Home Visit" system offered by Narita City Tourist Office, go and meet a Japanese family and spend a few hours with them - lunch in a Japanese home etc....

Link is here

…chiba.jp/english/…question_homevisit.html

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,059 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Daughter has a one night layover at NRT

Choose Narita City if she wants to kick back and relax.

Choose central Tokyo if she doesn't mind rushing a bit to see something exciting. Do note that a 4:30pm arrival at NRT means she likely will get to Tokyo around 7pm. To catch her flight at 1:55pm the next day, she would need to take a train or limobus that leaves no later than 10 to 10:30am.

S. Florida
Level Contributor
80 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Daughter has a one night layover at NRT

Wow! Thank you for all the great replies. I'll discuss with her, but it sounds like Narita is the way to go.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,494 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Daughter has a one night layover at NRT

If Narita is the choice, see this YouTube video about a hotel there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW8HB1FYleA

(Toyoko Inn is a large business hotel chain in Japan--tiny rooms, low rates, immaculate housekeeping, and free breakfast.)

A budget alternative would be to go to Tokyo, stay up all night, and take an early bus back to the airport. This would require stamina and alertness after no sleep. And Tokyo does not have all-night public transportation; it all shuts down about midnight.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
24,586 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Daughter has a one night layover at NRT

I'd also recommend staying in Narita if your daughter were 50yo+. But for a 22 yo, Tokyo is definitely the way to go. Of course, it'll cost her more, so if she's on a tight budget, she'll have to settle for Narita:-(

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Daughter has a one night layover at NRT

I second the comments of Shibuyakko.

As long as she plans ahead and has her return journey and times sorted for Narita flight, then go to Shibuya for a night. Being around Narita at night time when you could be experiencing Shibya is of no comparison.

It is much quicker and easier to get into Tokyo and should take only about 80 mins to Shibuya.

Tell her to take a look at Shibuya guides here as well as Timeout Tokyo for gig, Club & performance guides & Tokyo Metropolis for other info on the clubbing scene. Shibuya is the centre of cool and trendsetting in Japan and where all of the

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,341 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Daughter has a one night layover at NRT

Narita is okay if she just wants to relax and enjoy the small old shops in front of Naritasan Shinshoji Temple (I have a very fond memory visiting with my mother when I was 19-20), or go to a onsen bath facility out of the town.

However, as suggested by Shibuyakko-san and Aussie-san, if she's an outgoing kind of person with full energy after a long flight, I suggest taking the N'EX to Shibuya.

As like in many cities, there are two kind of "clubs".

One is more music centered with electronica and DJs showing off their skills, whereas others are dance oriented (and involves meat trading I guess). Shibuya and Daikanyama have clubs closer to the former type, whereas Roppongi = meat trade. As long as she sticks to Shibuya and be sensible about what is morally and lawfully right and wrong, she'll have a safe and fun time.

Edited: 02 November 2012, 10:27