We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear to Tokyo during Mid April 2013

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
1 post
Save Topic
What to wear to Tokyo during Mid April 2013

I am from Singapore and will be going on a short vacation to Tokyo from 14th to 21st April 2013, I am aware that it is now spring and according to the weather forecast found on most sites, the temperature may vary between 21 to 10 degree celsius and may get a little chilly when night falls. I don't know how accurate the information is, hence I would need help if somebody can tell me if that is really going to be the temperature that I will experiencing when I am there. I am not very used to cold countries so I have no idea how cold the minimum temperature is going to feel like, would an overcoat be more appropriate or is it too thick? Also, I will be there with a friend, it is both our first time to Japan. We will be roaming around on our own. Is it going to be easy to get around while we are there? Please suggest some top picks places of attractions that we can visit. Thank you.

Perth
Level Contributor
3 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear to Tokyo during Mid April 2013

I think an overcoat is too much as you'll either be walking a lot and getting warm or inside places and train carriages and getting even warmer. Perhaps a light jacket and long sleeved shirts? I recommend layers this time of year :)

As for getting around, I think Tokyo is pretty easy to navigate but grab a guide and get acquainted with places before you go :)

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,906 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear to Tokyo during Mid April 2013

Unless you are going to mountains an overcoat won't be necessary in Honshu (at least for the Japanese). Long sleeves, a light jacket, sweater, and/or jumper should be brought.

Bringing a guidebook is almost essential. I think if you go to tourist information centers, they can give you a free booklet.

metro.tokyo.jp/ENGLISH/PROFILE/policy08.htm

Edited: 07 April 2013, 14:22
Planet Venus
Level Contributor
2,783 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear to Tokyo during Mid April 2013

agree with above post. layers is the way to go....

if you can get something like giordano's g-warmers, mark and spencer's, and uniqlo has heattech warmers too that could help. it is light and looks like an ordinary t-shirt. (http://www.uniqlo.com/ht_w/us/, www.marksandspencer.com/Thermal/b/1364740031, au.e-giordano.com/P1.aspx…

start with that as your base i.e. inner wear and just add layers as needed. an overcoat would be cumbersome.

also i read that to keep warm, protect your extremities as that is where heat goes out of our bodies (head, fingers, feet/toes) so meaning get a warm hat, gloves and socks and/or leg warmers

based on my experience - 10 degrees feels like 10 degrees but how cold it is will depend on the wind factor. so during morning it can be warm and toasty but at night the temperature drops so you need to add layers as needed

Melbourne,Australia
Level Contributor
810 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to wear to Tokyo during Mid April 2013

We are currently in Tokyo having arrived from warm weather in Melb, Australia on Sunday. On both days the forecast was low 20s andwe have been wearing shorts and t-shirts with a jumper first thing in the morning. As for getting around, the railway system is excellent. Grab a map of the rail network which has lines colour coded and keep it with you. The Metro and Toei underground lines ar easiest to use with lots of colour coded arrows and English subtitles. We got ourselves a Suica card which you simply hold over an electronic pad at the ticket gates. This saves having to hunt around for the correct money for each trip. They can be purchased and topped up at ticket machines whichgenerally seem to have an English button option. We inquired about it at Tokyo JR tourist info centreand the lady there came out and did it for us to demonstrate.Enjoy your holiday,

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
507 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to wear to Tokyo during Mid April 2013

i'm thinking of wearing the sweater or hoodie, that should be enough.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to wear to Tokyo during Mid April 2013

I was in Japan last week and brought a spring overcoat. I did not wear it once, day or evening, it just took up lots of space in my luggage. Too me 15 degrees in Japan feels slightly warmer than 15 degrees in Sweden due to higher humidity (and no cold arctic winds), but coming from Singapore that won't be the case for you... Ok, so I'm not from a tropical climate (the opposite in fact), but I still think an overcoat would be too much for you. Most Japanese wore light jackets.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to wear to Tokyo during Mid April 2013

We leave for Japan in 2 days and I have a ski jacket ready to pack! Is this overkill? We are going Tokyo-Hakone-Takayama-Hiroshima-Kyoto-Osaka. Thanks!

Hong Kong, China
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: What to wear to Tokyo during Mid April 2013

It should be the end of winter then. I was in Tokyo during February 3 years back and it was really cold and dry. My friend and I had to put on body lotion everyday to prevent our skins from getting too dry. The heater is on in the train, mall and hotel room so I would recommend layers. In the winter, I realize a good warm wind breaking jacket to be a must, and you would just take it off when you go indoor. It was winter so I had a few layers inside, but by April it should be fine.

9. Re: What to wear to Tokyo during Mid April 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 December 2014, 06:18