We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused on the public transport

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Confused on the public transport

Hello, next month I will be traveling to Tokyo for the first time and plan to spend 6 days exploring the city. I'm confused on the public transport. Do I need to purchase JR pass even though I am just going to be Tokyo ? Or are there any other option? What are the cheapest transport for me to go places there.

I need your help here as I am new to Japan and planning a trip in a month to Tokyo is just overwhelming. Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
52,958 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused on the public transport

A Suica stored value card is all you'll need for Tokyo - http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/pass/suica.html - valid on all public transport in Tokyo. In general - transit passes for Tokyo are not a good value.

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
128 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confused on the public transport

As Dave mentioned above, get the Suica. Are you flying into Narita and how are you getting from the airport to the city? If you are planning on taking the train, consider getting the NEX+Suica package. With this you can take the Narita Express (NEX) to/from the airport to the city, and you'll also have the Suica to use when getting around Tokyo. Top up the value in your Suica as when needed.

You don't need a JR pass if you are only going to be in Tokyo and not traveling outside of Tokyo.

Mentioned in this post
Narita
Narita
Chiba Prefecture, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,917 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confused on the public transport

A big advantage of the Suica card is that you need not try to figure out fare maps and ticket vending machines: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kepi/3076561126/

There are a couple of ways to plan your route. If you know your starting and ending stations (just about any train or subway in the country), http://hyperdia.com/ will show you some options. http://www.jorudan.co.jp/english/ may be less confusing. https://maps.google.com/ now has good English-language directions. Most stations, major hotels and tourist attractions can be searched in English. Stations and trains have English signage. Many subways stations (maybe train too--I never noticed) have bilingual maps showing points of interest.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
57,798 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Confused on the public transport

Just make sure you understand Suica is a stored value card. The card gives you convenience, but it's not an unlimited pass, and it offers no discounts. If you are flying into Narita Airport, then get Suica-NEX deal and you will get a heavily discounted Narita Express train ticket:

www.jreast.co.jp/e/suica-nex/index.html

Regarding route planning to save money while traveling in Tokyo, try to avoid intercompany transfers when possible. These transfers always end up costing you more money. Walk an extra block or two to a different starting station for the most direct route if you have to. The three major companies you will encounter for city center travels are JR (train), Tokyo Metro (subway) and Toei (another subway).

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo Metro
Tokyo Metro
1,850 Reviews
Tokyo, Japan
Narita
Narita
Chiba Prefecture, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Narita Airport
Narita Airport
Narita, Japan
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Confused on the public transport

Hello, I'm flying into Haneda airport. Thank you so much for the info. So i will need to get a suica card to travel around Tokyo but where can I get this card? Can i get them in the airport itself?

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
790 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Confused on the public transport

Yes you can purchase Suica from the JR office at the airport. However I think by the time you arrived in Haneda Airport at night (I assume you will be flying AAX), the JR office will be closed. You can buy Suica card in any JR stations

Mentioned in this post
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Confused on the public transport

I can get in in Haneda airport, I just looked into the website. I will arriving there at 11.00 pm abut the sales are up to 6.30 pm only. I need to go to kawasaki bacause I will be staying there in a friend's place. and I will be traveling from there to places i want to see in Tokyo.

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
57,798 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Confused on the public transport

Just buy the Suica next day. You will need cash to buy a ticket to Kawasaki then.

Mentioned in this post
Kawasaki
Kawasaki
Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan
Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
26,736 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Confused on the public transport

Just buy the Pasmo Card from a vending machine at Keikyu Haneda Station since you'll be taking the Keikyu Line train to Kawasaki. The Suica and Pasmo are interchangeable.

The Suica/Pasmo cards are usually bought through vending machines, so it doesn't matter if the ticket offices are closed or not.

Mentioned in this post
Kawasaki
Kawasaki
Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
57,798 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Confused on the public transport

If you buy Pasmo, you have to return the Pasmo at a Pasmo issuing station (so not JR).