We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying an iPad in Shinjuku area

Atherton
Level Contributor
100 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Buying an iPad in Shinjuku area

I am looking to purchase an iPad in Tokyo around Shinjuku. I will be buying a wifi model so carriers will not be an issue. In Australia places like Big W and JB HiFi are cheaper than buying off Apple, is that the case in Japan? If so, who are those retailers? According to what I have read, Japan is the cheapest place in the world to buy an iPad. With the current exchange rate of Yen to Australian dollar, 5% tax back, it is a good deal anywhere. Bic Camera and Yodabashi Camera have a 5% off when paid by Visa card, but not sure if they sell iPads? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

David

Wellington
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying an iPad in Shinjuku area

Your information on prices may be wrong. These are a little out of date but...

cultofmac.com/147528/…

macworld.com/article/1151143/ipad_prices_int…

just doing a quick currency conversion, I can get them cheaper at home.

Atherton
Level Contributor
100 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying an iPad in Shinjuku area

Thankyou for the reply. From my research the prices must be out of date. A 32gb iPad 4th generation in Australia is $649.00 at the Apple shop. The same in Japan is 50,800 yen. Currently the dollar is around 100 yen. Australia tax free is less 1/11 and Japan less 5%.

Thank you once again.

Wellington
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying an iPad in Shinjuku area

Okay, in that case I think I remember them at Bic camera Shinjuku West. My son says Mackintosh stuff is on the fourth floor but he's got a better memory than me. :-) They were certainly selling iPods, because I bought one. I'm surprised no one else has replied........ go early – it gets really crowded in the middle of the day, and it is difficult enough to find someone with enough English anyway.

Edited: 03 May 2013, 06:12
Level Contributor
1,667 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying an iPad in Shinjuku area

Yes, Mac products can be found at two famous electronics department stores with branches all over Tokyo: Yodobashi Camera and Bic Camera both have multiple stores in Shinjuku

type 'iPad' in their search box & you'll see what's available - then click on the actual item for price info yodobashi.com/ec/store/map/0011/index.html

Bic Camera biccamera.com/bicbic/…index.jsp

Links to maps to the stores are here:

Shinjuku West Exit yodobashi.com/ec/store/map/0011/index.html

Shinjuku East Exit yodobashi.com/ec/store/map/0013/index.html

Bic Camera has several stores in Shinkuku their West Exit store may be more likely to cater for English speakers biccamera.co.jp/shoplist/s_nishi_english.html

London
Level Contributor
339 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying an iPad in Shinjuku area

We bought our iPad last year in the Shibuya Apple store (considerably cheaper than the UK even with the awful exchange rate at the time).

It takes 6 minutes (make it 10 to account for time at the stations) and ¥150 to get from Shinjuku to Shibuya. There are staff who speak excellent English in the Shibuya store.

My husband ADORES Yodobashi Camera (and hates BIC, which must be part of his YC adoration), even he wouldn't buy Apple at Yodobashi Camera with the Apple store just nearby.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
148 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying an iPad in Shinjuku area

Just got an iPad Mini at Yodobashi in Shinjuku (west side).

Paid with VISA, so got the 5% taxfree and the 5% VISA bonus.

Ended up paying 205 euro (vs. 339 in Holland).

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
760 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying an iPad in Shinjuku area

Hi Matthijist, may I please ask how many GB Mini did you get at 205 Euro?

And will they give the discount to foreign Visa cards?

Thanks.

Durham
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying an iPad in Shinjuku area

This site has the details of the discounts available for non-Japanese VISA cards.

visagoexplore.com/travel/PromosByCategory…

I found it by chance just before I went to buy a watch at Yodobashi Camera in Fukuoka last month. I just showed the pdf coupon on my phone. The sales assistant had to check something with a colleague before she applied the discount so you may find not all the staff are familiar with the offer.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
760 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying an iPad in Shinjuku area

Thanks Ahar!

Atherton
Level Contributor
100 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying an iPad in Shinjuku area

Thank you for all of the replies. Can anyone tell me what time the Tax Refund counter closes at night at Yodabashi camera. It would seem that this is my cheapest option. 5 % tax refund, 5% visa discount.

Once again thank you all