We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best places to eat lunch and dinner on a budget.

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
162 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best places to eat lunch and dinner on a budget.

Hi all,

Would like to know where would be the best places to eat on a budget. My budget for lunch and dinner would be under $40.00 a day. Please let me know.

Thank you,

j.c.

NYC

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best places to eat lunch and dinner on a budget.

There have been many similar questions in the past. Here's a recent thread on another site - http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+102522 . In general, Tokyo is not nearly as expensive as its reputation suggests. My personal preference is to mostly skimp on breakfast, as many good restaurants don't offer it. Splurge on a japanese breakfast at a hotel at least once if you are curious though. If you really enjoy food I would try to increase your budget, but if you limit breakfast to coffee and a pastry, you should be able to eat fairly well.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,279 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best places to eat lunch and dinner on a budget.

Consider staying at a business hotel where they offer a free Japanese breakfast buffet. (Toyoko Inn, SuperHotel, and Comfort Hotel are among the chains of business hotels, and there are many more.)

The food from convenience stores (Family Mart, Lawson, 7-11. etc.) in Japan is actually quite good.

You can get a light lunch from a convenience store for about 600 yen. Find a nearby park where you can eat your lunch; it's considered a bit rude to eat on the street.

Dinner from a convenience store will run about 1,000 yen. As you check out, the clerk will ask you if you want them to microwave your dinner. Then you can bring it back to your hotel to eat.

This will use up only half your food budget, so you can afford to have some meals at modestly-priced restaurants.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best places to eat lunch and dinner on a budget.

It depends on which area you are at and what kind of Japanese food you are looking for, but if you are looking for best restaurants, www.picrumb.com might help you out. Most of the restaurants they introduce are pretty reasonable and were on Japanese TV and food magazines in the past.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
44,823 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best places to eat lunch and dinner on a budget.

Budget dining options in Japan - http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2028_food.html

NYC
Level Contributor
391 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best places to eat lunch and dinner on a budget.

Department store basements also have a huge assortment of food mostly ready to eat and it seems they are discounted late in the afternoon/early evening. I had quite a feast one night in Tokyo..... :)

East Coast of...
Level Contributor
586 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best places to eat lunch and dinner on a budget.

In my limited experience, you must close your eyes tightly to miss cheap eats. Being from New York City, you must know what's it's like to cram yourself into a hole in the wall to taste the best food you've tasted that day.

For a thousand yen per day, you could sustain yourself on solid and delicious food just from the corner conbini. Not that I would recommend such a thing, and drinks are definitely not included.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,386 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best places to eat lunch and dinner on a budget.

US$40 = about 4,000 Yen these days. You can get in two solid meals without any problems. There is no need to be frugal and buy convenient store pre-made food.

Rough cost of meals at standard mid-tier chain places (good quality and service):

Ramen: 800 Yen

Udon/Soba: 1,000 to 2,000 Yen

Sushi sets: 2,000 to 3,500 Yen

Katsu (fried pork cutlets): 2,000 Yen

Curry rice: 1,000 Yen at fast food chains, under 2,000 Yen at proper places

Gyu-don (beef bowl): 800 Yen

Vending machine drinks: 150 Yen

Boston
Level Contributor
3,062 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best places to eat lunch and dinner on a budget.

I just came back from Tokyo and find it generally much cheaper all around than NYC. I stayed at the Hilton Shinjuku for $150USD nightly which included a huge daily international breakfast buffet for us three people. We ate wonderful ramen lunches at Ippudo and Musashi Menya for $8USD each. I saw a place under Tokyo station offering $3USD rice with ramen breakfast. Sushi are cheap in Tokyo, especially at the department store basement where a 20 piece sashimi platter is $10USD. Yes I ate a some expensive places too but cheap good food are everywhere. Can't wait to return to Tokyo.

9. Re: Best places to eat lunch and dinner on a budget.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2013, 19:21
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
162 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Best places to eat lunch and dinner on a budget.

Thank you.