We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8% discount tab for Bic Camera on tourist map?

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atherton
Level Contributor
100 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
8% discount tab for Bic Camera on tourist map?

Hi, someone mentioned that Bic Camera or Yodabashi Camera have a discount offer of 8% off on a tourist map. If this is the case, do you know which map and what are the exclusions? There is a 5% Visa discount and 5% Tax refund. Not sure if you can combine them. I am looking at buying a couple of iPads while in Tokyo next week. Also have seen suggestions about getting a Bic Camera point’s card. Can anyone tell me what that does and what the benefits are?

Thank you, David

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8% discount tab for Bic Camera on tourist map?

Any reason why you would buy them in Tokyo? Are you in Atherton, CA? If so, there are reliable sources to get Apple products without paying sales tax.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,577 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8% discount tab for Bic Camera on tourist map?

5% visa discount and 5% tax refund = 10% is the most you can get.

Point card is essentially a discount (usually 5 - 10%) on your purchase that you can use on your next purchase.

Atherton
Level Contributor
100 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8% discount tab for Bic Camera on tourist map?

Thank you both for the replies. I am in Atherton Australia. Because iPads are cheaper in Japan anyway and then to get 5 + 5 % off, I end up around 20% off compared to Australia. For any Apple product this is fantastic. I am going to get iPad, iPad mini and Bose noise canceling headphones. So if I can work the point card and make two purchases I can get a decent discount off the head phones as well. The head phones are nearly $100.00 off the price here in Australia or 30%.

Would like to find out which tourist map had the discount voucher on it? Also do both Bic and Yodabashi camera have point cards? Will be in Tokyo tomorrow night, cannot wait to eat some great Japanese food.

Regards David

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8% discount tab for Bic Camera on tourist map?

Both BIC and Yodobashi have point cards. I believe if you use a point card you cannot get the "tourist" discounts (tax, etc.).

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,577 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8% discount tab for Bic Camera on tourist map?

Yodobashi point card requires a valid residential address. They will verify this. BIC does not have this strict requirement.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8% discount tab for Bic Camera on tourist map?

Bibimbob, since when? I've got three cards and just used my in-laws one time, my friend's another and a bogus one I made up another time. Do they check ID now?

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,577 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 8% discount tab for Bic Camera on tourist map?

The clerk saw me copying the address from the hotel card and he said that is not allowed and took the application form away. They didn't check ID per se.

Kirkland, Washington
Level Contributor
72 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 8% discount tab for Bic Camera on tourist map?

There are tons of tourist maps at any Tourist Information Center. I would suggest to ask the staff at the airport Tourist Information Center as they will be able to speak much better English and help you right away.

We got the map at Osaka Kaisai Airport Tourist information Center and yes you can combine both. My hubby bought a Cannon 6D at Bic Camera Osaka store (shinsaibashi) with 5% tax refund and 8% discount with coupon (no coupon will be 5% paying with Visa). The more crazy thing is hubby found the price at Yodobashi is a few thousands yen cheaper than Bic's listed price. Then he told the staff at Bic, after 10 mins wait, he came back with a lower price than Yodobashi + tax refund + 8% discount.....We paid USD$2,800 for the camera costs $3,427 here.

I don't know the full terms of the coupon. But Ipad maybe the one since it is foreign and popular products in Japan. Doesn't hurt to ask. I don't suggest to get point cards unless you live in Japan. NO Japanese address is already big pain. Ask for instant discount, refund or anything very straight forward is much better and easier to communicate with the retail staff there. They really can't speak English very well there, trust me!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,577 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 8% discount tab for Bic Camera on tourist map?

>> They really can't speak English very well there, trust me!

You didn't talk to a Chinese staff, that's why.

Kirkland, Washington
Level Contributor
72 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 8% discount tab for Bic Camera on tourist map?

I prefer to speak to Japanese staff in English although I can barely speak mandarin Chinese : ) Besides I wasn't lucky to find any Chinese staff working in Osaka Bic Camera.