We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tokyo apartment-hotel suggestions

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Tokyo apartment-hotel suggestions

Hello,

I am traveling later this month to Tokyo with family (wife + 2 kids - 11 and 8 year) old and am looking for lodging recommendations from the experts! We will be staying for 5 days.

We wanted to know if there any good apartment-hotels type of accommodations that can fit a family of 4 and have a kitchen/kitchenette that we can flexibility to cook as needed.

I am not familiar with the Tokyo areas, but I glean that Shibuya, Sinjuku, Roppongi and Ginza areas are preferred for tourist.

Any suggestions or pointers on finding good apartment-hotel would be much appreciated! Thanks,

Tokyo Great Cycling Tour
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Tokyo Urban Adventures
Food Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours
Japan Wonder Travel
Walking Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, City Tours
Tokyo Localized - Free Walking Tour in Tokyo & More
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tokyo apartment-hotel suggestions

Perhaps Citadines Shinjuku? It is quite a walking distance from JR Shinjuku Station (nearest station: Shinjuku Gyoen or Shinjuku 3-chome), so don't walk with luggage to get there. Take a taxi when arriving/leaving. It's not a boring walk to Shinjuku Station with stores like Isetan along the way, but long.

Another candidate could be Hundred Stay, not far away from Okubo / Shin-Okubo station (next to the Korean town and a bit sketchy neighborhood).

Edited: 20 June 2013, 15:18
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tokyo apartment-hotel suggestions

Roppongi is not recommended as a place of stay unless 1) you're staying at a 4-5 star hotel there, or 2) you love clubbing after midnight, or 3) you have business with US Embassy or the military.

Edited: 20 June 2013, 15:21
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tokyo apartment-hotel suggestions

Thanks for the suggestions.. i think the Citadines Shinjuku would have worked well, but unfortunately it is sold out for the desired dates. Any other suggestions, welcome!

Also thanks for the advice on Roppongi.. will keep that in mind.

Viana do Castelo...
Level Contributor
48 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tokyo apartment-hotel suggestions

You can try tokyu stay, there are several of them all over tokyo, ive still not tryed them but they have a small kitchnet and laundry machine, price is usualy also good.

Hope this helps

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tokyo apartment-hotel suggestions

Try Kitano Arms. It gets good reviews on TA. When I sent an inquiry about their facilities they answered promptly, but I ended up not staying there. Hope to do so in the future.

http://www.kitanoarms.com/index_e.html

Wellington
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tokyo apartment-hotel suggestions

We used Hundredstay, it was good. See my review on this site. I didn't notice any sketchiness about the neighbourhood either :-). But then a Tokyo sketchy neighbourhood is by no means equivalent to almost anywhere else's :-). In fact, there seem to be some quite upmarket dwellings in the area? Who knows. We never had the slightest trouble.

Level Contributor
1,667 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tokyo apartment-hotel suggestions

Okubo - I could think of better places to stay -especially considering the recent nasty political protests in the neighbourhood that turned violent. Not to mention its close proximity to Kabukicho - it doesn't exactly paint it as a nice place for a family holiday. But I guess most tourists would be oblivious to the darker stuff & going by what people say on T/A they are completely unaware of what goes on in Okubo & think Kabukicho is about pretty flashing neon & happy smiling people.

Edited: 22 June 2013, 04:23
Wellington
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tokyo apartment-hotel suggestions

Tourists with children, who are not going to be out very late at night or early in the morning are likely to be oblivious to what goes on. But if you avoid every neighbourhood that has a reputation for being "sketchy" you won't see very much. Ueno has many homeless people, but we went there to see the museums. One homeless man was extremely helpful. Roppongi has some pretty seedy nightlife, Shibuya has prostitutes and love hotels, as does Kabukicho. If you are aware, and don't put your children in a position where they have to confront this I can't see the problem. I've been in some places that were like a war zone in comparison.

9. Re: Tokyo apartment-hotel suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2014, 05:16