We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel charges for a 1-year-old child??

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
191 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel charges for a 1-year-old child??

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to book a room in the Hotel Jal City Haneda Tokyo. But they seem to charge us a fee for having a 1-year-old child?? Coming from the US this seem ridiculous. The child is sleeping with us on the big bed and he's just turned 1. Is this standard practice in Japan?

Thanks

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
7,797 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel charges for a 1-year-old child??

Their Japanese website says "Please consult us when you have an infant".

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,029 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel charges for a 1-year-old child??

Were you booking with the hotel's web site? www.jalhotels.com/domestic/kanto/haneda/ It only asks about the number of adults. I think that no-charge bed-sharing is common with young children.

I suggest sending an inquiry to the hotel chain: www.jalhotels.com/inquiry/contactform_en/

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
6,116 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel charges for a 1-year-old child??

I've never heard of a hotel charging for a 1 year old. By all means, ask. Children under 6 can ride trains and buses for free when accompanied by 1 adult. The exception would be the express fare for trains with reserved seats or the Shinkansen, but babies are exempt. If the rules haven't changed, babies under 2 can ride airplanes for free, too, provided they sit in the same seat as the parent.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,048 posts
662 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel charges for a 1-year-old child??

Other JAL hotel allow guest to stay with a child under the second grade free so this rule should apply to any chain. It is best to check with the hotel for sure.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
50,457 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel charges for a 1-year-old child??

I am pretty much 100% sure your 1-year old will stay and ride for no additional cost throughout your trip.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
23,184 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel charges for a 1-year-old child??

I'm almost 100% certain that the Jal City Haneda doesn't charge extra for a 1yo when she/he shares a bed with a parent.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,724 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel charges for a 1-year-old child??

Using jalan to check the rates, whether 2 adults only or 2 adults + infant 幼児 食事・布団不要, it's the same rates.

So 1 infant is free.

8. Re: Hotel charges for a 1-year-old child??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2014, 06:17