We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pocket Wifi for iphone 4

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Pocket Wifi for iphone 4

After extensive research I've decided to purchase a mobile Wifi from Japan Wireless for my husband while we're in Japan next week. This is primarily to access the internet, skype and receive e-mails from work in Australia.

The questions I have is

a. will his iphone 4 be compatible with Japan?

b. do I need to purchase a prepaid SIM data card?

There seems to be so much hype about the difficulty of this process it's seeming too easy. Would value any advice before I push the "buy now" button! :)

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pocket Wifi for iphone 4

If the mobile wifi is ready to use then you don't need a SIM card unless you don't want to pay roaming on your local plan. I setup roaming but try to avoid using it unless there is an emergency. The iPhone has "do not disturb" so you can avoid taking calls that way.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
53 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pocket Wifi for iphone 4

You'll be perfectly fine. I used one while I was in Japan for my HTC One and my partner's phone and it worked like any other WiFi hotspot. You can read my review on it at tracynphotography.com/blog

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pocket Wifi for iphone 4

Brilliant. Thanks.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pocket Wifi for iphone 4

Some things I learned from many successful rentals of pocket wifi devices in Japan. Get some sort of external battery pack that can charge it if you plan to be away from electricity for longer than, say, four hours. The battery life can be consumed quickly if you are in and out of coverage areas where it is continuously trying to reconnect to the network. Second, if you are out using it and it "stops working" don't fret. Just do a power-cycle, usually holding the power button down for many seconds. You may need to do this occasionally. It is not the fault of the unit or network. It has to do with being out of range (in tunnels, on trains, etc.) and the unit will go into power-save mode or another glitch mode and will not be able to reconnect to the network when it comes back into range. This happens when you are out of range, sometimes in a basement of a building, for an extended amount of time.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
836 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pocket Wifi for iphone 4

With a pocket wifi, your DH do not need a separate sim card to use Skype or email. I used one in Japan that can be used up to 7 hours while I'm out and about away from my hotel room. It it fast and supports our iphones 4, 4S, 5, and a mac book all at the same time. I also carries an external batter just in case.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,506 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pocket Wifi for iphone 4

>> I've decided to purchase a mobile Wifi from Japan Wireless

You RENT the device from them. You have to return it after use, You also have to pay compensation if it's lost or damaged.

7. Re: Pocket Wifi for iphone 4

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2013, 19:44
8. Re: Pocket Wifi for iphone 4

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2014, 06:20