We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Advice please :)

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
121 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Advice please :)

Still in very early planning stages.

Thinking either May or July 2014 for 5 days.

First trip :)

Day 1.

- Arrive.

- Stay at Ryokan Sawanoya

Day 2.

- Ueno Park (Museum, Zoo, Shrine) or should we skip shrines here to have more time for Asakusa?

- Kappabashi (Kitchen Town)

- Lunch

- Asakusa Shrine

- Kokugikan Sumo Stadium (May - try and get tickets and see an afternoon match otherwise look through museum)

- Dinner

- Akihibara Electric Town (seen that most shops are open til 9pm)

Day 3.

Yanaka Neighbourhood (10mins from Ryokan)

Tokyo Dome City (Baseball Game if possible, "LaQua" Spa)

Imperial Palace East Garden

Day 4.

- Fish Market (5am at the latest right, partner wants to get breakfast there after auction, is there much to see if we miss the cutoff for tour?)

- Pokemon Shop

- Mt Fuji/Hakone day trip - unlikely to see in July I know, but is May much better? Is it a nice trip even if we don't see Mt Fuji?

- Dinner

- Rainbow Bridge

- Explore nightlife (thinking Shinjuku -Kabuki-cho) - cheap, 23/24yo couple and safe - is this correct?

- Stay in Keiunso Ryokan

Day 5.

- Yoyogi Park + Meiji Shrine

- Takeshita St (Harajuku)

- Lunch

- Shibuya Station Crossing

- Nezu Museum

- Dinner

- TMG building - open till 11pm?

Day 6.

- Fly out.

Any gentle guidance or suggestions would be appreciated :)

Thanks!

Melbourne,Australia
Level Contributor
867 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Advice please :)

e the fish market, If you miss the cut-off(as we did) you may as well go back to your hotel and catch a few more hours sleep nd come back at 9 when you are allowed into the fish market. Still worth a look with some big fish and all sorts of other sea creatures. Just watch out for the electric carts and the fishy water that is slopped around.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
477 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Advice please :)

- Fish Market (5am at the latest right, partner wants to get breakfast there after auction, is there much to see if we miss the cutoff for tour?)

- Pokemon Shop

- Mt Fuji/Hakone day trip - unlikely to see in July I know, but is May much better? Is it a nice trip even if we don't see Mt Fuji?

- Dinner

- Rainbow Bridge

- Explore nightlife (thinking Shinjuku -Kabuki-cho) - cheap, 23/24yo couple and safe - is this correct?

Whoa you must have a lot of energy, that is a long day, waking up early to go to the fish market, a day trip to Mt Fuji, and going out at night? More power to you :) Even if you don't see Mt Fuji, the trip is still worth it IMO.

What type of nightlife are you looking for? Shinjuku/Kabuki-cho is mostly bars and restaurants so if you just want to grab a drink and some food it would be a good place. I prefer Shibuya, more options. Everywhere is safe in Tokyo.

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
121 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Advice please :)

Yeah maybe the nightlife should be after another day!!

With regards to nightlife - I would like live music rock/pop (seated and standing) and also late night clubbing/pop music to dance to. I will look at Shibuya thank you :)

Thank you for the fish market advice :)

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Advice please :)

I used to live in Yanaka area and know Swanoya well. Yanaka area is a cozy old place to loam around  and they have small galleries for young artists, but I might say it's a just a neighborhood , so take a walk when you want to take a break. Just don't miss Nezu Shrine there. A beautiful old shrine with a nice garden. You can skip shrines in Ueno. Asakusa is a fun place and you need a little more time shopping there. And main building there is Sensoji Temple and though the shrine is known for their huge festival, is not that grand.

And if you can,try to stay a night in Hakone and enjoy their wounderful hot springs.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Advice please :)

Oho, don' t come in June unless you love hot humid rainy days.

Kanagawa...
Level Contributor
3,455 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Advice please :)

shibuya livehouse

SHIBUYA-AX

translate.google.co.jp/translate…

SHIBUYA-O east&west

SHIBUYA-CLUB QUATTRO

etc

Pokemon Center will open after 10:00 morning, I recommend that you go at night.

(11-20 on Weekdays, 10-19 on Saturday and Sunday)

Kanagawa...
Level Contributor
3,455 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Advice please :)

I want to recommend that you go to the Tokyo National Museum.

However, I think do not have to go temple in Ueno.

The zoo, cases where it might make sense is good if you want to see the panda, but it may also be cut otherwise.

Observatory of Tokyo Metropolitan Government Office is open until 11:00 pm.

However, it depends on the weather.

www.metro.tokyo.jp/ENGLISH/TMG/observat.htm

I think Fuji, and easily visible or winter, and windy day and the day after the rain, but I do not know the difference between May and July.

Sometimes, there is also a day to be able to see from Tokyo.

I think Hakone, also not see Mount Fuji, and quite enjoyable.

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
121 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary Advice please :)

Thank you for your advice about Yanaka - it's definitely not a must-see, but heard its nice to see "old tokyo".

Will probably be the same regarding Ueno park - more a "if we have time".

So if June is rainy+humid, is July or May a little better? I know to avoid first week of May :)

Thank you for the music venues in Shibuya! It looks like a more appropriate place. Thanks for the pokemon shop tip didnt realise it opened a little later.

Thanks everyone so far :) xo

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
121 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary Advice please :)

Didn't see haro's second post.

Cool I will rank the museum as #1 at Ueno and will pop into the zoo if we have time, it's cheap enough even just to go for a short time!

So the TMG observatory closes earlier on days with bad weather?

Thank you again :)

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
449 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary Advice please :)

May is much better for general city-walkers (some chance of windy days, though...). July is a transition from rainy+humid to hot+humid.

With checking local minima/maxima in rainy/sunny days in http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2273.html

early May seems to be the best for Tokyo (In a sense, we reserved for ours...). www.maitown.com/soft/nannohi/cam2014.html#may

suggests 12-16 May could be the best for your 5 days. Or you could adjust to watch the final match of Sumo on 25 May. sumo.or.jp/eng/…2014