We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tokyo nightlife and NYE 2013/2014

Sydney, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
Tokyo nightlife and NYE 2013/2014

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can please help me out. I'll be in Tokyo with some mates between Christmas (2013) and early January (2014) before we head elsewhere for snowboarding. Now I've been given the task of organising this Tokyo leg of the trip and want to make sure that we have an awesome new years and days leading up to it.

Can anyone provide information on where abouts in Tokyo would be the best to stay for travellers looking for an a great night life/party scene?

Additionally are there any new years eve events that are worth going to?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Deja Vu
Bars & Clubs
ageHa
Bars & Clubs
New Aladdin
Bars & Clubs, Cigar Bars
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
477 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tokyo nightlife and NYE 2013/2014

Second question within one hour about this... would be great to have a Top Questions pinned on where to stay!

Shibuya and Shinjuku are the main recommended areas for nightlife/party scene. The Cerulean Tower in Shibuya and The Century Southern Tower Shinjuku and Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku are the ones that get thrown around time and time again but really it depends on your budget which you did not mention? You should start your research here: http://www.japan-guide.com/hotels/tokyo.html

There is a top question response about Christmas and New Years Eve on the right side, here is the link to that:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298184-i861-k3018…

Here's another recent thread about that:

tripadvisor.com/…50325552

Any specific questions, come back and ask!

Edited: 19 July 2013, 01:17
Mentioned in this post
Shibuya
Shibuya
Tokyo, Japan
Shinjuku
Shinjuku
Tokyo, Japan
Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tokyo nightlife and NYE 2013/2014

Let me just say one thing. NYE is not what you think. That said, read the threads here.

Rotterdam, The...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Tokyo nightlife and NYE 2013/2014

Hi,

Me and my boyfriend are going to be in Tokyo 31dec-2jan and we'r also wondering what to do in NY eve. We are looking for the company and cool places. Lets get together if it is possible)) We are young and crazy))

Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,805 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tokyo nightlife and NYE 2013/2014

Be careful to avoid African bar touts.

See warning here:

forums.ski.com.au/forums/ubbthreads.php…

Edited: 06 August 2013, 02:38
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tokyo nightlife and NYE 2013/2014

Hatsumode in Japan is meant to be spending quiet time with families reminising the bad and good times before wishing for a good year ahead. Most japanese will spend NYE and new year's day in a temple. Party? I don't think its a good idea

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tokyo nightlife and NYE 2013/2014

There will be New Year parties in foreign expats town of Roppongi, but general safety rules in Japan do not apply to bars with immigrant solicitors there. Don't go to those bars in Roppongi if you don't want to be drugged and ripped off all your belongings. Ignore all solicitors; don't say anything but just ignore as if they don't exist.

Each time the question of New Years Eve pops up, people including I have been posting that New Year in Japan is generally a quiet family get together event, and New Year Eve is a solemn opportunity for thinking about days gone by. No fireworks in Japan on New Year's Day. People go to a temple or a shrine or both for the last/first prayers; popular temples such as Sensoji in Asakusa will be extremely lively with people and cafes and eateries around it would be open until morning. It's fine to attend the expat party around Roppongi or Asabu, but I also recommended to see how things are done locally in a different culture. Perhaps go see Meiji Shrine in Harajuku or Sensoji in Asakusa.

What to do on 1st-3rd January when many things close and you're a tourist could be a larger issue.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
24,423 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tokyo nightlife and NYE 2013/2014

destination360.com/travel/…tokyo-new-year

"Places like Disneyland in Tokyo have spectacular celebrations that draw throngs of people to enjoy the rides, shows, and other entertainment, and of course the fireworks display"

"You could also choose to watch the fireworks at Ikebukuro Sunshine City. People gather here at this tallest observatory in Tokyo watch fireworks and countdown to the New Years 2013 on New Years Eve. "

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
477 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tokyo nightlife and NYE 2013/2014

My first year in Japan, I was able to bar hop around various bars in Shibuya. It was a good time. Even managed to get a Wendy's burger at 2 AM. Then spent about 2 hours riding around on the Yamanote line because my boyfriend and I accidentally fell asleep. The Yamanote is open 24 hours on NYE. On New Years Day, I spent the morning sleeping/hungover. I think it's a good plan for people posting looking for a "party" on NYE. Oh to be young again.

Now, I eat my toshikoshi and go to bed. Next morning, eat osechi and hang out on the couch. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2064.html

Mentioned in this post
Shibuya
Shibuya
Tokyo, Japan
Gold Coast...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Tokyo nightlife and NYE 2013/2014

Sounds mad! Me and 4 others from Australia will be there for New Years and keen as to party!

1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Tokyo nightlife and NYE 2013/2014

Yep I was wanting to know the same thing, we have a group of 10 of us from Melb&Syd we'll be in Tokyo over New Year before heading off Snowboarding on the 4th. We are staying in Shinjuku hopefully we find a party!!

Edited: 01 September 2013, 10:36
Mentioned in this post
Shinjuku
Shinjuku
Tokyo, Japan