We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skymark Airlines - Tokyo - Osaka - Anyone booked?

Kent
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Skymark Airlines - Tokyo - Osaka - Anyone booked?

Hi all,

I've looked at this guide;

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2364.html

Who say Skymark airlines are cheapest for travel between Tokyo and Osaka.

However, on their website, i can't seem to be able to enter this as a journey..?

It looks like the from and to are asking for the airports which are fine for Tokyo but I can't find anything for Osaka. Has anyone booked before?

Ideally from outside Japan as i'm a bit nervous about booking online.

Thanks in advance.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,140 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skymark Airlines - Tokyo - Osaka - Anyone booked?

There is no need to be nervous booking online. Skymark is essentially Japan's Ryan Air, LCC. I've flown well over dozens of times with them, mostly on Tokyo Narita-Sapporo Chitose route. They handle things well, better than Air Asia X. They just don't have flights for Tokyo Haneda-Osaka Kansai any longer. They are using the Kobe Airport as a domestic hub.

Consider the transfer time/expense needed to get to airports. If you are traveling just from Tokyo city center to Osaka city center, then the JR Tokaido Shinkansen can take you faster and more comfortably. Plus, it's more eco-friendly.

Kent
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skymark Airlines - Tokyo - Osaka - Anyone booked?

Thanks for the reply.

I did consider the train but from Tokyo - Osaka it is almost 3 hours. And a return journey for 2 will cost 56,000 yen (about £380). Whereas the guide was quoting about 12,000 yen each way per person by plane with Skymark. And it would be quicker.

And we will have luggage with us (2 big suitcase and 2 hand luggages) as we'll be travelling from England.

With the Japan Rail Pass (about £378 for two people), it will probably be worthwhile as we plan a day trip from Osaka to Kyoto.

But as i said, its the travel time and luggage situation on the trains which made the air option more attractive.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,157 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skymark Airlines - Tokyo - Osaka - Anyone booked?

Would an Air Pass from Star Alliance or One World be a better option? 10,000 yen per domestic flight.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,140 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skymark Airlines - Tokyo - Osaka - Anyone booked?

Well, more precisely, the JR Tokaido Shinkansen Nozomi service links Tokyo Station and Shin-Osaka station in 2hr 25-33mins (who says 3 hours is apparently running on 1970s schedule or taking the slower Hikari service with JR Pass).

Return ticket price for Osaka from Tokyo is 24,000 yen for single person if you use the JTB's Shinkansen e-voucher.

www.japanican.com/tours/tourdetail.aspx…

Tokyo Station to Haneda Airport takes 30 minutes on JR Keihin Tohoku / Yamanote Line and Tokyo Monorail (fastest connection). Osaka Kansai Airport to Osaka city center (Namba) takes 42-50 min (fastest connection). Osaka Itami Airport to Osaka City center (Umeda) takes at least 40 minutes.

If you consider the time needed for checking in at Haneda Airport (+30 min), going through security, and transfer costs and waiting time for the connections needed, the Shinkansen train wins easily (believe me, I am born in Kansai Region and living in Tokyo; I've been doing the same route trip for dozens of times). If it were not for the cheaper dumping airfare, planes won't be a match against the train. Since you are entitled to the Japanican e-voucher, there is no sound reason why you should take the plane.

Edited: 08 August 2013, 13:10
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,140 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Skymark Airlines - Tokyo - Osaka - Anyone booked?

Skymark from Tokyo Haneda to Kobe is normally 14,800 yen, 70 mins flight.

Tokyo city center-Haneda Airport: 30 mins, 690 yen.

Check in and security to airplane seat: see 30-50 mins.

Luggage reclaim: see 10 mins.

Kobe Airport-JR Osaka station: 50 mins, 710 yen.

It's clear that it's better to take the Shinkansen Nozomi train (with Japanican e-voucher).

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,811 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Skymark Airlines - Tokyo - Osaka - Anyone booked?

I have used Skymark several times and booked on line from outside Japan with no problem. Whether it is a "good deal" or not depends highly on whether you can get one of their sale/advance fares, and as advised you need to fly from Kobe, not the most convenient airport if you are staying in Osaka.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,011 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Skymark Airlines - Tokyo - Osaka - Anyone booked?

Add-on fare flying with ANA/JAL with your international flights : 50-150USD return, dozens of daily flights, convenient connections, baggage through-check, earn mileage points, bookable anytime with your international flights, international baggage allowance

Air Pass products from ANA/JAL: 100 - 130USD one way, all of the features from add-on fare plus: refundable, changeable, bookable anytime after international flight purchase up to international flight departure. There are blackout periods on the domestic flights.

Low Cost airlines:: ???

Edited: 08 August 2013, 16:32
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
350 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Skymark Airlines - Tokyo - Osaka - Anyone booked?

People need to realize that the earlier you book a ticket from Skymark and ANA, the cheaper the flight. Booking two months ahead of time (the earliest you can book) is the cheapest. When I lived in Okinawa, it would cost as little as 7500 yen from Naha to Kobe via Skymark if you booked two months in advance. The problem is, everybody else in Japan is thinking the same and sometimes you cannot even log on the Skymark site the first day you can book between 9 am and 11 am. Try this when booking a ticket on Dec. 31st or around New Year's.

When I lived in Yokohama, I only took the Shinkansen as far as Nagoya; I always flew into Kyoto or Osaka because it was cheaper than the Shinkansen if you booked ANA/JAL two months ahead of time. And for me, time was money. I could take the first flight out of Haneda at 6:30 am and be in the major cities anywhere is Japan by 9 am after taking the shuttle bus to the main train station. I therefore had a full day of sightseeing ahead of me.

Also flying domestic in Japan isn't such a nuisance because the Japanese airlines are always on schedule. You could check in 30' before departure. If fact, when I arrived at an airport, I preferred bus travel to the main train station, e.g., Tokushima eki or Hiroshima eki, because you just go outside the airport and put your luggage on the bus. With a train, you have to lug it downstairs, find the correct track, lug it on the right car if reserved ticket, etc. Then when you get to the train station, lug it up several flights of stairs since the subway is usually underground. In my opinion, it doesn't take that much longer flying into major cities versus taking the Shinkansen, and it's often cheaper.

Same with traveling north to Tohoku. I would take the Shinkansen as far north as Sendai maybe, but take the airlines to Akita or Aomori or even Hanamatsu.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,140 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Skymark Airlines - Tokyo - Osaka - Anyone booked?

I am not totally against air travel at all, and I have been flying Skymark, ANA, JAL, Air DO, Air Asia X domestically countless times, but the reasons why I recommended train travel is posted on #4, 5 (if you do calculations, you'd know which one). That said, your decision depends on Skymark's ticket price which can be cheaper indeed as mentioned above (I think it was 10,000 for reservation 30 days in advance- correct me if I'm wrong), and Air Pass is a good suggestion.

By the way, the standard time on Shinkansen Nozomi train from Shin-Yokohama to Shin-Osaka is 2hr 7-9 mins. To Kyoto, it's 1hr 53-2hr 1min. Of course, the exact departing point in Yokohama and arriving point in Osaka matters, and the price for air flight also. That said, the statistical data for Tokyo-Kyoto travel share shows 97.6% versus 2.4% (Shinkansen wins); Tokyo area - Kyoto/Osaka/Kobe area 80% versus 20% (Shinkansen wins). Of course, those who side with the majority could be wrong...

Edited: 08 August 2013, 19:07
10. Re: Skymark Airlines - Tokyo - Osaka - Anyone booked?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2014, 05:17