We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

C5 Programme in UK about Shinjuku Station

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,047 posts
174 reviews
Save Topic
C5 Programme in UK about Shinjuku Station

..First apologies I did meant to post this last week but had not internet (thank you again BT), there was a programme on Channel 5( 9/8) in the UK about the worlds busiest train station, Shinjuku.

It would of been of interest to those travelers from the UK to get a good idea of whats its like. I did enjoy the programme and found some information rather interesting. It followed the day in the life of the station from opening to closing and all that goes with running this very well oiled machine. The dedicated staff coming over very well and how they cope with the huge crowds and measures in place for all eventualities. Those who work with the public could learn a thing or two from this!

However you can download it

Kyoto, Japan
Level Contributor
1,712 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: C5 Programme in UK about Shinjuku Station

No worry: 81 other stations are still busy out of 100 busiest station in the world.

…rocketnews24.com/2013/…

This is the result English engineers constructed the locomotive line from Tokyo to Yokohama in 1872.

…nifty.com/EF57/beginning/firstmodel.htm

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,056 posts
671 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: C5 Programme in UK about Shinjuku Station

It's interesting topic indeed.

Sometimes ago before London Olympics I saw a news that Transport for London (TFL) decided to send a observation team to New York to get knowledge of how to improve the subway system and I was surprised as NY system is quite messy and not really a place that one can learn except ad hoc approach. This made me wonder why they haven't chosen Japan to seek advise instead.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: C5 Programme in UK about Shinjuku Station

Wow, this sounds very interesting to me. I'm going solo to Japan next month and am terrified of the prospect of negotiation Shinjuku when it is busy. Could you provide the link of this programme please?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: C5 Programme in UK about Shinjuku Station

I found it, thanks anyway!

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,047 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: C5 Programme in UK about Shinjuku Station

Mark, yes the station can be intimidating and not that easy to navigate at fist, but honestly you can eventually figure out where you need to be. The staff are great and you will find signs in English as well.

The first time I went I must admit it was overwhelming trying to even find the right exit was difficult and yes I did get lost. And morning rush hour was a bit of a shock!

Nomad, yes a lot could be learned from JR with our own railway system, but did watch the series about the ins and outs of UK's rail system (no Im not an anorak!!!) and it was quite an eyeopener

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,189 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: C5 Programme in UK about Shinjuku Station

The cons about large old terminal stations (those where the train lines end, like Waterloo or Euston in London, Gare du Nord or de l'Est in Paris): flows of people are cut and create jams.

Newer railway central stations (those where train runs seamlessly in and out, like Brussels or Amsterdam Central, or Berlin Hauptbahnhof) are less prone to jams. Tokyo (Central) Station is actually busier and larger station than JR Shinjuku Station in Tokyo, and it's the long distance terminal, but as people don't always get off through the exit, the people using it aren't counted (only those passing through the gates are counted).

Shinjuku is a hub where three large private enterprise railway linking the bed-towns terminate and meet with JR urban area railways crossroad. Odakyu, Keio, and Seibu railways terminate at Shinjuku for a change to JR linking central areas in Tokyo. People from homes in the western suburbs change here to metro or JR. The private railway companies built department stores on top of their stations, so as to attract massive transit passengers (a new idea which might be missing from the European terminals made at the time of steam locomotives).

In order to avoid jams, there are many exits through gates to make changes between the companies easier. Also, from nearby stations, private railway lines constructed new underground lines with direct through services with Tokyo Metro so as to bypass congested Shinjuku station.

To me Shinjuku Station is just a crowded train station and not very interesting. Tokyo (Central) Station is much more fun for train-spotting, people watching, and perhaps even shopping (check out the basement level inside the gates, and the underground complex around Daimaru store in the Yaesu side).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrRUdSBARao

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3037.html

7. Re: C5 Programme in UK about Shinjuku Station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2014, 07:19