We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Olympics 2020

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England, United...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,841 posts
157 reviews
Save Topic
Olympics 2020

Well done Tokyo on being chosen to host the 2020 games!

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
37,039 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Olympics 2020

Many congratulations Tokyo on hosting the 2020 Games.

Well done! :

Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Olympics 2020

Congratulation to all of the three country that try to get the 2020 Olympics games but a huge congratulation for Japan!!!!!!!!! :)

Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Olympics 2020

So happy for all the kind & respectful people of Tokyo for winning the Olympics in 2020 . This city will do a fantastic job as for a city of 13 million , it runs like a Swiss watch. The taxi drivers are the best I have met in any country & I never saw a piece of rubbish anywhere on the ground in 10 days my family have just pent here , and that include the countryside . It got to the point where I was determine to find some to no avail.....and there's no rubbish bins anywhere hardly , forcing people to bring there rubbish home with them.

Well done & very well deserved !!

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
655 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Olympics 2020

Good and reasonable choice among three candidate cities! I should put that into my calendar!

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,823 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Olympics 2020

I personally thought Istanbul could be a great choice (or somewhere which might be needing an extra boost like Bangkok or Delhi), but Olympics tend to choose preparedness and management (boredom, if you like, but good condition to concentrate on sports), so Tokyo probably fit the criteria.

Thank you for your moral support and I wish I can take part in making it a nice event myself. I personally hope the Tokyo Olympics ver.2 will be a fair, eco-friendly, small-is-beautiful, kind to all ages and genders, barrier-free, well-balanced, economical, and moderate-in-opinion Olympics.

Edited: 08 September 2013, 14:37
6. Re: Olympics 2020

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 08 September 2013, 14:46
Edited: 08 September 2013, 14:46
Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,096 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Olympics 2020

Thanks for making this thread, Scotlandscout. It was as if the whole nation was holding their breath to know about the decision. So everywhere you look in media reports today, the hottest topic is without a doubt "2020 Olympic venue." The on-clould-nine back shot of Prime Minister Abe was aired live (and later on in videos repeatedly) from Buenos Aires, along with other members of the Japanese delegate kicking their heels when given the verdict from the rostrum by Le comte Jacques Rogge. A symbolic gesture of jubilation when their more-than-a-decade-long campaign finally bore fruit. Edokkos/Tokyoites are dying this time around to be the host to the Olympics, and so are big and small businesses: in what seems like an eternal economic woe, they have all been gasping for fresh air, so for them 2020 Olympics will sure be catalyst for a long-awaited economic boom, as was the case for the run-up to 1964 Tokyo Olympics. In that regard, a rosy blueprint wants carrying out already: NHK says the government of Tokyo is ready to use its 400billion-yen reserved-fund to be appropriated for the construction of the relevant sites, the total spending on which is estimated to be 450billion yens, excluding the provision of infrastructure that may include surface railroad lines spanning HND and NRT airport, all helping to create 150K jobs nationwide.

Now it was selected as the venue for the Olympic Games, Tokyo and the Japanese government really have to deliver the goods as stipulated in Olymic Movement: <<The Olympic Movement seeks to put "sport at the service of the harmonious development of humankind, with a view to promoting a peaceful society concerned with the preservation of human dignity.>>

Will Tokyo live up to what is now lived up to? I believe so. But as one critique said on the telly, Prime Minster Abe should've been just as sanguin in his resolution/speech toward Fukushimans (or Japan residents at large) to dismantle fears about radiation-contaminated seawaters as he was before the Olympic Committee Members in Buenos Aires...

8. Re: Olympics 2020

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2014, 05:18