We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tokyo radiation

Kuala Lumpur...
10 posts
Save Topic
Tokyo radiation

Hi

Me, 2 of my boys (11 & 13 yrs.) and a friend will be in Tokyo for holidays this mid Nov for 10 days.

We are extremely worry with the situation in Tokyo or rather the radiation that may post any health risk to visitors due to the leakage of some of the contaminated tanks in the Fukushima plant. Can anyone pls provide us some info in this respect. I am worry for my 2 young boys if they will encountered any after effect later.

Thank you.

Likely To Sell Out
Mt Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
3,984 reviews
from US$156.90*
Mt Fuji Day Trip including Lake Ashi...
898 reviews
from US$129.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Tokyo Robot Evening Cabaret Show
861 reviews
from US$66.40*
Kyoto Rail Tour by Bullet Train from...
289 reviews
from US$299.00*
tokyo
Level Contributor
4,569 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tokyo radiation

The radition levels within Tokyo are lower than New York or Singapore.

http://monitoring.tokyo-eiken.go.jp/en/

Remember, Tokyo is almost 250km away from Fukushima. There is constant monitoring in Tokyo and there has not been one case of anyone in Tokyo with radiation sickness etc.

Remember, the Olympics will be in Tokyo in 2020.

At the end of the day, it's up to you to decide.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,630 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tokyo radiation

...and the leakage is waterborne, adding to existing radiation in the nearby sea, but little is reaching the air.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
335 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tokyo radiation

Sorry to speak out of turn as I have not even visited Japan yet, but how can anyone answer about after effects that can happen at a later date? Many of experts here are staying in Tokyo and if they were aware of any after effects, they wouldn't be staying there. Till date Tokyo is one of the most populated metropolis in the world. There is much written & discussed on this subject, on this forum as well as in media over the world. We have to do our own risk assessment & take decision for ourselves. I, for one, am going to travel with my husband and kids to Tokyo next month and sample all that the city is to offer. Btw, my hubby is a scientist in cancer biology & is extremely paranoid about carcinogens, but he didn't even bat an eyelid about this trip.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,257 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tokyo radiation

It's up to you to decide whether it's worth going or not. Most people here will say it's completely safe to travel in Japan, as long as you don't visit the evacuation zone near the nuclear power plant in Fukushima (http://www.japan-guide.com/list/e1208.html). Most governments around the world will tell their citizens the same thing, there are no restrictions/warnings against travelling, except for the exclusion zone in Fukushima. See for example travel advice of the U.S, U.K and Australia governments:

U.K: https:/…safety-and-security

U.S: …state.gov/travel/…special_circumstance

Australia: smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Japan

The World Health Organization concluded in a report that health risks directly related to radiation exposure are low even for life-time residents in Japan: who.int/ionizing_radiation/…index.html

But will any of this really reassure you that there are no health risks? If you think you will spend your holiday worrying about it, then perhaps it's better to stay at home.

Edited: 09 September 2013, 16:44
Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
25,499 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tokyo radiation

Since you're extremely worried, don't go to Japan. It's as simple as that.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
56,153 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tokyo radiation

Nobody has a crystal ball. You can always choose to believe one side of the story vs another. We can't be responsible for your health or your decision.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tokyo radiation

JNTO compiles information: http://www.jnto.go.jp/eq/eng/04_recovery.htm

We have gotten tired of the same questions posed over and over again. If you think Tokyo is unsafe, you can go somewhere else.

Edited: 09 September 2013, 19:02
Albuquerque NM
Level Contributor
111 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tokyo radiation

I agree with Yobeekool and Shibuyakko. It is a common sense not want to take any chance on your children. I know that it is completely safe in Tokyo so I'm taking my grand children next spring to the safest city in the world (not only radiation is concerned).

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
6,862 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tokyo radiation

Just remember that wherever you go, you will be zapped with radiation. Airplanes are notorious.

Here's a handy chart.

http://xkcd.com/radiation/

Edited: 10 September 2013, 08:39
Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
12,078 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tokyo radiation

anyone who is extremely worried would be mad to go.

The fact that it is entirely safe does not matter. Worry will spoil a visit.