We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nightlife bars/clubs, whats better Shinjuku or Roppongi?

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Nightlife bars/clubs, whats better Shinjuku or Roppongi?

What's everyone's opinion on this? Are the clubs/bars any different from Roppongi to Shinjuku or is it more or less the same thing. Thanks.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nightlife bars/clubs, whats better Shinjuku or Roppongi?

My opinion only...Roppongi is much more foreigner-friendly and geared towards the younger set. Shinjuku is a little less foreigner-friendly and you have to figure things out for yourself.

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,096 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Nightlife bars/clubs, whats better Shinjuku or Roppongi?

I may be wrong, but you pro’bly won't feel you’re in Japan when hanging around places in Roppongi at night. In that sense, Roppongi sure attracts more foreign tourists, as Route says, than Shinjuku.

But I was once a Shinjuku guy, so personally I still favor Shinjuku over Roppongi.

I couldn’t find any pages of what people call clubs in Shinjuku, but see:

www.seekjapan.jp/barsrestaurants.php…

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/pooh/pooh/club/

For a candid opinion from an expat in Tokyo:

…metblogs.com/archives/…nightlife_in_to.phtml

This is not a club, but I came to find the interesting website of a bar: http://www.icebartokyo.com/eng/

I hope this’ll help a bit.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,361 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nightlife bars/clubs, whats better Shinjuku or Roppongi?

Roppongi is a foreigners' hangout, and of course for locals who like to meet foreigners.

Tokyo
Level Contributor
476 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Nightlife bars/clubs, whats better Shinjuku or Roppongi?

The atmosphere is different between the two areas but I wouldn't say one is any more Japanese than the other. As you will see in Roppongi, there is no shortage of Japanese people there, male and female.

The bars in Shinjuku though can be a little harder to find but if you have a reccommendation, worth checking out. Shinjuku also has some bars catering to some alternative scenes.

Greer, South...
Level Contributor
210 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nightlife bars/clubs, whats better Shinjuku or Roppongi?

Roppongi, at least for my husband and I, was not great. You really don't feel like you're in Japan-- there's scores of Westerners there and you can eat all the stuff there at home. However, if you're going to be in Japan for a long time, sometimes a familiar restaurant can be great. We were in Japan for 2 weeks, so we did eat at TGIFriday's as a welcome change!

Roppongi also seems to be a bit seedy... a lot of ska gangsta types and sketch men looking to prey on Asian girls.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nightlife bars/clubs, whats better Shinjuku or Roppongi?

Roppongi definitely makes an effort to cater much more to foreigners than Shinjuku. All you need to do is look around at the establishments and at the number of foreigners who hang out in the respective places. Roppongi also caters to much younger people, especially the young foreigners working as English language teachers. But, I think if you're a casual visitor, Roppongi is definitely easier to find a place to enjoy and get comfortable compared to Kabukicho.

<<<The atmosphere is different between the two areas but I wouldn't say one is any more Japanese than the other. As you will see in Roppongi, there is no shortage of Japanese people there, male and female.>>>

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,579 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nightlife bars/clubs, whats better Shinjuku or Roppongi?

Roppongi is the first choice, safe and tourist friendly (and that's what visitors from NY should be looking for).

8. Re: Nightlife bars/clubs, whats better Shinjuku or Roppongi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 18:19