We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 Days in Japan, where should one go???

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mooloolaba...
Level Contributor
36 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
7 Days in Japan, where should one go???

I've been to Japan but my partner has not. We've got 7 days or so in April 2014 in Japan, where should be visit, obviously Tokyo but what should one see there? Hiroshima is on our to do list, Kyoto??? Should we go north right up to Sapporo??? What's the situation with radiation north of Tokyo???

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,049 posts
664 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 Days in Japan, where should one go???

Including Sapporo might be too much for 7-day trip. You can focus on Tokyo, Kyoto, Nara, Osaka, Hiroshima possible although it is still a lot to cover.

For this route, you don't need to worry so much about the radiation situation as you move south.

2. Re: 7 Days in Japan, where should one go???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2013, 10:54
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
873 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 Days in Japan, where should one go???

I agree with naoki_hashi. 7 days will just be enough for Tokyo (3 days) -> Kyoto (2 days) -> Nara (1 day) -> Osaka (1 day). If you want to go down to Hiroshima, you may have to sacrifice 1 day (from Tokyo).

Sapporo is up north and you won't have enough time.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46,534 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 Days in Japan, where should one go???

http://www.japan-guide.com/ - has some suggested itineraries.

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
144 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 Days in Japan, where should one go???

I think it really depends on your style and what you enjoy.

Honestly you can easily spend 4-5 days in each of these places and not see everything that is cool. In theory you can go to all of the places in 7 days and see a couple of attractions but I feel you will not really experience Japan like that.

I think you may be more rewarded to spend 4 days in Tokyo and 3 days in Kyoto and that way you can really get to feel the city and not waste so much time checking in and out of hotels and trying to get someplace else.

Of course this is just my opinion.

Edited: 11 October 2013, 16:13
ld
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,692 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 Days in Japan, where should one go???

I did the following packed itinerary in Sept and don't regret a single second of it despite it being 30degrees plus every day. Hiroshima and Miyajima were a highlight for me.

Day 1 5am arrival Haneda - travel to Koyasan afternoon, evening and next morning in Koyasan

Day 2 Koyasan to Kyoto arrived later afternoon. Wandered up to Gion and the Shrine close by.

Day 3 Kyoto, Golden Pavillion, zen temple with the very famous zen garden then Bamboo forest and the temple next to it. We hot footed to Nanzen-ji temple and missed last entry, on the way back to Kyoto station got of the bus at a big shrine just past the zoo (no idea what it was called) then had dinner up on the 11th floor of the station

Day 4 Back to Nanzen-ji (well worth it) over to Nara for the sights, hopped off the train in Osaka for a quick mooch at Dotonbori and to grab something to eat. It was a very long 12 hour day, but worth every minute.

Day 5 Kyoto to Hiroshima, peace park, a dome, Miyajima late afternoon then back to Hiroshima for a great dinner and a stop at a german beer festival!

Day 6 Hiroshima to Tokyo. Green car (worth every penny, journey flew by). Stayed in Shinjuku, had a wander about found somewhere for dinner then went to the Robot Restaurant, which is a truly amazing sight to behold and the best fun you can imagine.

Day 7 Tokyo we had reserved for shopping so not much sight seeing, but we did go to the Sumo which was fascinating.

Day 8 Flight home to UK

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
23,511 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 Days in Japan, where should one go???

Kyoto to Hiroshima is less than 2 hours, so it's totally doable as a day trip. How about 3 nights Tokyo and 4 nights Kyoto including a day trip to Hiroshima?

8. Re: 7 Days in Japan, where should one go???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2014, 06:19