We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

electronic appliances in Japan

London, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
electronic appliances in Japan

i intend to purchase electronic appliances in Japan for use in my country (220v)

is there a posibillity to buy 220v in japan?

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
144 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: electronic appliances in Japan

The voltage in Japan is 100 Volt with 2 identical to non polarized pins. I don't think you will find much in the way of 220v appliances.

You can buy a voltage converter but electronics are not so cheap that it would make much sense when you factor things in.

Edited: 16 October 2013, 18:18
London, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: electronic appliances in Japan

i was thinking about rice cooker...

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,075 posts
737 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: electronic appliances in Japan

You can still look for universal appliances at duty free shops. Akihabara would be a good area to explore although many big electronic stores carry duty free products.

London, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: electronic appliances in Japan

thanks

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
320 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: electronic appliances in Japan

> ou can buy a voltage converter but electronics are not so

> cheap that it would make much sense when you factor things in.

And since it would probably have to be a 1000 or 1500 watt converter at least to handle the high current draw of a rice cooker, it would probably be as big as a shoe box and weigh about 20 lbs.

Get a digital camera or sushi-themed USB key... ;-)

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,529 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: electronic appliances in Japan

Rice cooker cannot be universal voltage, at least I haven't seen one. Akihabara/Shinjuku shops (duty-free section) sell 220V rice cookers. Prices are high and selection limited, but if that's what you want.

Selection from Yodobashi: http://tinyurl.com/lq9mnvw

A suitable transformer (220-100) will cost as much as the rice cooker itself or more.

Edited: 17 October 2013, 14:57
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,827 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: electronic appliances in Japan

It might cost you less to order one online and have it sent to your home country.

8. Re: electronic appliances in Japan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2014, 05:18