We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shibuya to Akihabara

Level Contributor
1,173 posts
Save Topic
Shibuya to Akihabara

Need help as I'm a bit confused.. I'm checking what train line to get going to Akihabara from Shibuya through Hyperdia. I got some results like take the Yamanote line and it shows Shibuya - Osaki - Akihabara. Why is there Osaki in the middle while Yamanote line is just a loop, do I need to transfer when I get to Osaki? There are also options like Shibuya - Yoyogi - Akihabara, why is Yamanote not the default result since it seems the easiest way with no transfer?

1. Re: Shibuya to Akihabara

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 October 2013, 11:09
Edited: 27 October 2013, 11:09
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,380 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shibuya to Akihabara

From Shibuya to Akihabara, take Tokyo Metro Ginza Line and get off at Suehirocho. The station is located at the northern end of the Akihabara electric street. Go down south-eastwards if you need to go to Yodobashi Akiba and Sofmap stores.

==

Yamanote Line cannot run always in loop- it needs change of driver/conductor as well as maintenance. There is a train depot at the south of Osaki station- sometimes, the trains start/end from Osaki (but may be Osaki is shown just technically on your Hyperdia schedule while the train in reality continues on- I don't know which trains you are referring to, though). If the train terminates at Osaki, transfer to the next one coming.

That said, the natural route if you wanted just to stick to JR is via Yoyogi by Yamanote+Chuo/Sobu Local line, or via Shinjuku and Ochanomizu by Yamanote+Chuo Rapid+Sobu Local Line, which would mean less travel distance than going all the way around Shinagawa to Akihabara. Travel distance is shorter this way, and probably faster.

JR Map for Tokyo; http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/info/map_a4ol.pdf

Tokyo Metro / Toei Map: tokyometro.jp/en/…routemap_en.pdf

Edited: 27 October 2013, 11:10
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,581 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shibuya to Akihabara

>> do I need to transfer when I get to Osaki?

It helps if you check the meaning of the specific icon

hyperdia.com/en/help/help_ke.html#point_mark

"means a transit station (direct train)"

Edited: 27 October 2013, 11:11
tokyo
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
4,569 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shibuya to Akihabara

I also recommend if you are going from Shibuya to Akihabara *or vice versa to use the Tokyo Metro Ginza Line.

The station in Akihabara for the Ginza line is named Suehirocho. You should see it on googlemaps.

No transfers involved.

Edited: 27 October 2013, 11:16
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Shibuya to Akihabara

Thanks so much guys, I won't go to Yodobashi though, I would just like to see the place and probably eat in Gundam Cafe or in any of the maid cafes. Is Suehirocho still the best option?

tokyo
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
4,569 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shibuya to Akihabara

Suehirocho station is a very easy walk down the "Main street" of Akihabara, you can walk up and down the street to/from Akihabara Station or go around to the back ally ways.

Level Contributor
1,173 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Shibuya to Akihabara

Hi tokyosubway, how do I get to Ginza line from Shibuya? Is it inside the Shibuya station too? I can't find the Shibuya station in the subway map I saw online..

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,380 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shibuya to Akihabara

Yes, it will be a good walk down the street for the Electric Street (Suehirocho exit and the street shown here):

https:/…110227-173814.jpg

Go to the Donki Store and Animate next to it along the Electric Street, and turn left towards the UDX building and the JR tracks to get to Gundam Cafe. Yodobashi Akiba is quite recommended though as a tourist site, a sort of must-go if you haven't been there.

Level Contributor
1,173 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Shibuya to Akihabara

Ooops sorry, saw it already, thanks! =)

tokyo
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
4,569 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shibuya to Akihabara

"Shibuya Station" is actually not one train station, but rather it is the name of many different train stations that share the same name and are in the same general area of each other.

There is TOKYO METRO, JR, TOKYU (shared with Tokyo Metro) stations.

The best thing to do is just follow the signs that say "GINZA LINE" when at Shibuya.

Shibuya is clearly visible to three subway lines on the metro map:

tokyometro.jp/en/…routemap_en.pdf

Shibuya is station G1 and Suehirocho is G14.

Edited: 27 October 2013, 12:27