We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How early to the fish market

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
How early to the fish market

I hope to go to the fish market while in Japan. I know I have to be there VERY early, prior to 5 am. What time should I arrive? If I do not get in is there still things to see that early?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,005 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How early to the fish market

You should get there between 4:30 to 5am to register if you want to see the tuna auction. Only a limited number of visitors are allowed. Note that from Dec 2 to Jan 18 next year, the auction will not be open to visitors.

If you decide not to go to the tuna auction, I suggest you get to Tsukiji by 8am and walk the outer market first. The inner market is accessible to visitors starting at 9am.

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How early to the fish market

Is there anything to see other than the auction? I am not good at getting up early, so the auction is out of question. But I would like to see some other activities at the market. How late is the market open?

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,049 posts
666 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How early to the fish market

After the auction, you can go to have sushi for breakfast. Some restaurants open late/early.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,144 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How early to the fish market

Things start to close down around noon or early afternoon at the latest.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,005 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How early to the fish market

The inner market has lots of fish, dried goods and a section for fruit and produce. It's an interesting market to browse because it is not really meant for end consumers so it's a real operating market. Some stalls though do sell to everyday folks. I have bought small quantities of sashimi and fruit before. The inner market (once you are allowed in) goes quiet no later than 11am.

The outer market caters to end consumers. You can find small bites, dried goods, kitchenware, etc. The outer market closes in the early afternoon at the latest.

Sushi restaurants are abundant.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
72 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How early to the fish market

Sammyfloyd - Where did you get that information from? [i.e. Fish market closed from Dec 2nd]

Im actually planning to go for the tuna auction in early Dec, and looking at the website, it does seem to be opened? (tsukiji-market.or.jp/etc/calendar/2013.html)

Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How early to the fish market

The market is open but the tuna auction is closed to visitors. …tokyo.jp/english/market/tsukiji.html

8. Re: How early to the fish market

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 November 2014, 06:19