We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will TMobile Phones Work in Tokyo?

Foster City
Level Contributor
308 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Will TMobile Phones Work in Tokyo?

I read that in Japan they use CDMA as opposed to GSM like the rest of the world. Does this mean I won't be able to use my TMobile iPhone? Oh, my iPhone uses a really small SIM card, not sure if I can just buy a SIM off the street and stick it in there like I have done in the past with other phones.

Does anyone here have TMobile? What was your experience? Thinking of renting pocket Wifi from Global Advance Communication. This will give me wifi for my iPhone. I guess maybe I could just Skype if I needed to make a call.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
51,088 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will TMobile Phones Work in Tokyo?

http://support.t-mobile.com/thread/41640

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
24,024 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will TMobile Phones Work in Tokyo?

There are different T-Mobile iPhone models, with different specs. iPhone 4 will be roaming only IF it is compatible (which i don't believe it is). 4S and newer are fully compatible. If unlocked, you can use a Japanese SIM, otherwise roaming only.

NYC
Level Contributor
443 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will TMobile Phones Work in Tokyo?

I don't have an Iphone but I am a TMobile customer - they recently started a new program for international coverage - haven't used in myself but supposedly unlimited data, free texting and calls for 20 cents a minute. Check out their website or a nearby Tmobile store - it sounds pretty good....

4. Re: Will TMobile Phones Work in Tokyo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 November 2014, 05:17