We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Tokyo to Osaka

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Topic
From Tokyo to Osaka

Hi, We're going to Japan for the first time this Dec 23-30, 2013. Im having a hard time planning this trip. can you please help. Here's our tentative itinerary.

Dec 23 - 12pm arrival Narita, proceed to Shinjuku for check in. explore the area

Dec 24 - take the train to Disney Sea

Dec 25 - explore Shinjuku, Harajuku, Shibuya, etc.

Dec 26 - take train to Mt Fuji, overnight

Dec 27 - take train to Kyoto/Osaka

Dec 28 - explore Kyoto

Dec 29 - Universal Studio

Dec 30 - explore Osaka, 8pm flight Kansai Airport

Is it advisable to go to Mt Fuji late December and stay overnight there? we do not plan to climb, just enjoy the view. which is better, Hakone area or fuji five lakes? we're planning on staying at a ryokkan, any suggestions?

From there, we plan to go to Kyoto or osaka. considering the places we want to visit, should we stay in just Kyoto or just Osaka for Dec 27-30 and take day trips?

Can you please tell me if getting a JR pass is worth it for this route? Also, can you help me with the transport? what route is the best and cost efficient for us? im having a hard time understanding the trains, subways. thanks so much!

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,559 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: From Tokyo to Osaka

No. JR Pass does not pay off. I would probably find an accommodation in Osaka from Dec 27 to Dec 30.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,156 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Tokyo to Osaka

You can never be sure of seeing Mt. Fuji, because of clouds or fog, but December is about the best month--see the bottom of this page: http://www.hakone-hotels.com/Fuji_Area.php Hakone is interesting even if you don't see Mt. Fuji.

You could take the train from Shinjuku to Hakone, stay overnight, then continue on to Osaka. You can send your luggage from Tokyo to Osaka-- http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2278.html --or you can have your bags delivered from Hakone-Yumoto train station to your hotel: hakone-tozanbus.co.jp/english/pdf/carry.pdf

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,074 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Tokyo to Osaka

http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/suica-nex/ for arrival and stay in Tokyo.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,918 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Tokyo to Osaka

From a convenience perspective, especially since you have to go to Kyoto afterward, Hakone makes much more sense than Fuji Five Lakes. Get the Hakone Free Pass without Tokyo transfers (3,900 Yen, 2 days) from Odakyu:

www.odakyu.jp/english/deels/freepass/hakone/

As advised, a JR Pass won't pay off. Get Suica-NEX one-way from NRT airport. Return your Suica to a JR East station before exiting the Kanto area to get your card's unused credit and deposit back, subject to a max 210 Yen handling fee.

For your Kyoto/Osaka portion, I suggest you stay at Kyoto. Spend 27 and 30 at Kyoto, spend 28 and 29 at Osaka. That way, on your departure date, you won't have to drag bags around. Kyoto is just 75 minutes from Kansai Airport when using Haruka Express.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: From Tokyo to Osaka

Thank you so much for the feedback. We will just get the NEX/suica card for travel in tokyo. I have some follow up questions though. Hope you can help =)

1. From the airport, how convenient is it to go to Shinjuku considering we are travelling with my parents who are 60years of age and luggages and all?

2. is shinjuku the best place to stay considering all the transfers (from airport, to disney, explore tokyo, to hakone)? which area is more convenient and easily accessible for transfer? Shinjuku, shibuya, ginza. shinagawa, etc? any suggestions are welcome as we haven't booked hotels yet.

2. Can we use the suica card to go to disney sea? or is taking the bus better than the train?

3. For shinjuku to hakone, i understand the best way to go there is via odakyu direct to hakone-yumoto. Does the hakone free pass include the transfer from shinjuku to hakone or should i buy this separate?

4. for hakone to kyoto/osaka, is the best way via hikari shinkansen? where can we buy this in advance? can we reserve seats for this?

5. in kyoto, we plan to visit Arashiyama, Fushimi Inari and Kinkaku-ji. Can we see this in one day? Should we get the kyoto bus pass for this? how should we go about this?

thanks so much in advance =)

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,918 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Tokyo to Osaka

1. You should know how mobile your parents are. It also depends on where your hotel is situated in Shinjuku. Limobuses (door-to-door) from the airport only operate to a selected number of Shinjuku west and south side hotels at certain times of the day. That would be the alternative to using NEX. If your group can bring wheeled luggage onto escalators for short walks, then in the worst case, using NEX means getting to Shinjuku station and then taking a short taxi ride to your hotel.

2. Shinjuku has directs buses to Disney. It is also the starting point of Odakyu line trains for users of Hakone Free Pass. Shibuya and Ginza are also fine for trains to Disney although you would still have to go to Shinjuku to catch Odakyu trains.

3. Bus or train is a personal preference. There is no right answer. Suica can be used on trains and subways.

4. If you are buying single tickets, then buy Nozomi Shinkansen tickets. Hikari is slower but costs only a few hundred Yen less. Buy the tickets once you arrive Japan. I suggest you buy reserved seats, again costing just a few hundred Yen more.

5. Start at Fushimi Inari via train from Kyoto station. Then head back to Kyoto station to catch Karasuma subway line to Kitaoji. From Kitaoji, catch a taxi to Kinakuji (buses are cheaper but not by much). From Kinkakuji, take another taxi to Arashiyama. The cost is about 2,500 Yen. Again, there are other ways to use public transport between the two but with 4 people in your party, a taxi is well worth the convenience.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: From Tokyo to Osaka

Thank you so much for all the information.

we revised our plans after some more research and based on your transport suggestions.

here's a final trip itinerary complete with hotel and trains. please let me know what you think.

Dec 23 - arrival Tokyo 12nn, buy NEX/SUICA card upon arrival.

Take Nex to tokyo station, then take cab to hotel. i think its easier to take cab since we are a group of 4 with 2 parents and 4 luggages.

We booked hotels in Mercure Ginza. explore the area, akihabara.

Question: what are nearby places we should visit?

Dec 24 - disney via train. there is a train station below the hotel.

Take subway from Ginza Icchome Station (basement of hotel) by Yurakucho Line to Shinkiba (Last stop) and change to Kieyo Line to Maiham Station using SUICA card.

Question: is this correct? Is this the fastest route? until what time does the train run?

Dec 25 - go to shinjuku, etc using SUICA card.

Question: Where do we return the SUICA card to get the unused credit and deposit?

Dec 26 - go to Hakone - Yumoto.

take taxi to Tokyo station, then shinkansen to odawara, then odawara to hakone - yumoto using hakone free pass.

Question: Where can i buy tickets to shinkansen? do we need to purchase in advance and reserve seats since its christmas season? Where can i buy the hakone free pass?

for the trip in Hakone - Yumoto, we will arrive Hakone around 1030-11am. then on dec 27, we will leave at night time. so we have 1 and a half day to explore.

these are the places we want to see. Open air museum, gora, venetian glass museum, owakudani, lake ashi cruise. how do you suggest we divide these in dec 26 and dec 27? which area will be best for hotel? can you help prepare a convenient itinerary, including suggestion for hotel, so its convenient for us to go to hotel and hakone yumoto station. i read somewhere that most transport options in hakone close early? even the restaurants?

Dec 27 - explore Hakone - Yumoto whole day.

evening time, go to Osaka via shinkansen. so its hakone - yumoto to odawara using free pass. then odawara to shin-osaka via shinkansen hikari 6:08 pm. then shin-osaka to osaka. then go to hotel. we booked hotel at hotel monterey osaka.

Question: where can i buy tickets to shinkansen? do i need to purchase in advance and reserve seats? from shin-osaka, can i just take taxi to hotel or is it easier to take train from shin-osaka to osaka?

we plan to send our luggages from tokyo to osaka ahead. which luggage delivery service would you recommend?

dec 28 - go to kyoto.

from osaka, take JR Rapid Express Train to kyoto. then we will follow the directions given to explore kyoto.

Question: is this the best way to go to kyoto in terms of time and cost?

dec 29 - go to usj via train.

Question: is there a pass or something like suica card we can use for the osaka/kyoto portion?

dec 30 - explore osaka during the day.

Question: whats the best way to get to kansai international airport?

thank you so much =)

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,156 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Tokyo to Osaka

Question: what are nearby places we should visit? A: You're only 16 minutes from Asakusa station. Walk to Higashi Ginza station and take the Asakusa line: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3004.html

To Disneyland: Both Google Maps and http://www.hyperdia.com give the same route as you describe. I think it's all in the Suica area.

Turning in Suica Card: Any JR ticket office.

Buying Shinkansen tickets: You can buy in advance if you know for sure your travel time. Any major JR station. I get reserved seats. I tend not to buy in advance, but that's because i don't plan ahead. Taxi or train from Shin-Osaka to hotel. There are four of you? Take a taxi. It's 3 miles (4.6 km). No tipping.

Osaka to Kyoto: yes, JR Rapid. In Kyoto, consider taxis for short-medium travel, rather than walk long distances and wait for buses.

Pass: I'm not sure there's anything that will be useful, but I don't know.

To airport: I can't recommend the best, not knowing the area. There's a bus (doesn't stop at the hotel), or the JR Limited Express "Haruka." which doesn't stop at Osaka station. Ask at the hotel. Maybe taxi to Shin-Osaka or Tennoji Station, ehtn the Haruka?

Luggage forwarding: Whatever your Tokyo hotel recommends. Yamato is the biggest: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2278.html

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: From Tokyo to Osaka

Thanks for the quick response.

Have some follow up questions =)

For the SUICA card, can i return it at Tokyo station on Dec 26? Before we go to Hakone-Yumoto?

For the Shinkansen, is it okay to buy upon arrival in Japan? Will there still be seats? My concern is wont the trains be filled up during those dates?

Or should i purchase before hand so we have seats for sure? Can i purchase and reserve seats online?

How cold is it in Tokyo, Hakone-Yumoto and Osaka on Dec 23-30? Is it windy?

Thanks so much!

10. Re: From Tokyo to Osaka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 December 2014, 05:16