We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tokyo/Osaka - Sakura + skiing/snow in Hokkaido/Niseko

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
848 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Tokyo/Osaka - Sakura + skiing/snow in Hokkaido/Niseko

Hi , am trying to place maybe a 10-14 days trip , from late march to early april next year , was wondering is this possible if i wan to do sakura in japan main island and then take train/flight to hokkaido for snow ?

Was planing fly into Osaka , then travel to kyoto and maybe nara , then to tokyo for sakura and then take a train to hokkaido ( any nice place also to stop in between ? )

I had just recently been to tokyo and hokkaido ( summer ) so many purpose this trip is see temples/building in Kyoto , then Sakura and if possible snow together. Of cos had to predict the weather for sakura so depending might consider planning the other way round , any experts keen to give some insight ?

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,048 posts
662 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tokyo/Osaka - Sakura + skiing/snow in Hokkaido/Niseko

Most likely you can ski up to the end of April/early May in Niseko area.

It is hard to predict when you can see sakura but it is better check closer dates to your departure. If you go up north, you might be still able to see as the peak of sakura moves northward.

Singapore
Level Contributor
848 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tokyo/Osaka - Sakura + skiing/snow in Hokkaido/Niseko

Cool … this is great to experience 2 seasons in 1 trip

Singapore
Level Contributor
848 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tokyo/Osaka - Sakura + skiing/snow in Hokkaido/Niseko

Hmm anyone to recommend should I get any JR pass for this is i am going from osaka to hokkaido then to tokyo

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46,063 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tokyo/Osaka - Sakura + skiing/snow in Hokkaido/Niseko

You need to finalize a day-to-day itinerary (how many days in each city)before we can recommend a pass - or not.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,724 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tokyo/Osaka - Sakura + skiing/snow in Hokkaido/Niseko

flying will be cheaper and less time consuming.

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
6,116 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tokyo/Osaka - Sakura + skiing/snow in Hokkaido/Niseko

Ski resorts in Hokkaido is a bit far from any airport, i.e. if you're going to Niseko from Tokyo, it would take 6-7 hours by plane as you would need to take a train from ShinChitose airport, then transfer to a bus. Cost is ¥37,000+. By train, it would be 8-10 hours, but there are no bus transfers, just a few train transfers. Cost is ¥21,000+.

You can check schedules at http://www.hyperdia.com/en/ or http://www.jorudan.co.jp/english/norikae/

If you are bringing your own equipment, you can send them via Takkyubin to your destination.

www.kuronekoyamato.co.jp/en/personal/ski/

Here's a thread about cherry blossoms in 2014.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298564-i2712-k654…

Singapore
Level Contributor
848 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tokyo/Osaka - Sakura + skiing/snow in Hokkaido/Niseko

Sorry i posted another thread , but basically i plan to go niseko becos was thinking to take a train from main island to hokkaido ( can travel at nite 1) save time , 2 ) save $ on lodging as i heard the train is overnight ) , cos i wanted to go to hakodate again , from hakodate i think there are train to niseko ?

basically plan is 2 weeks , maybe 3-4 days in kyoto/Osaka/Nara , then 4 days in hokkaido 2 days at ski resort , 2 days in hakodate , and maybe max 3 days in tokyo , so i might have 1-2 more days to spare minus the travelling , was thinking can I drop by to some nice towns other then these few popular ones.

8. Re: Tokyo/Osaka - Sakura + skiing/snow in Hokkaido/Niseko

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2015, 05:16