We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is Aoyama-Dori?

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
134 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where is Aoyama-Dori?

I'm planning a walking trip around Shibuya/Harajuku/Omotesando and Aoyama-Dori gets mentioned in several guides. However I can't find it on a map, I've tried googling, and googlemaps, etc. but have been unable to find out where it actually is.

Also I'm confused by references in guides to Meiji Dori and its location on a map - in my map Meiji Dori is approximately parallel to Takeshita Dori (my map show Takeshita Dori in a Northerly direction while Meiji Dori is running in a North-Easterly direction). Yet the guides talk of Meiji Dori intersection Takeshita Dori - so where does it intersect? Does it mean near Shiibuya HS?

Thanks

Yokohama
Level Contributor
833 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where is Aoyama-Dori?

Aoyama-dori is a big street, a part of Route 246. from Shibuya to Akasaka.

There are many apparel shops along the street.

http://goo.gl/maps/j44G2

Meiji dori is also big street alog JR Yamanote-line.

Point B is intersection of Meji-dori and Takeshita dori and they are not parallel.

http://goo.gl/maps/dZHQw

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
23,142 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where is Aoyama-Dori?

Meiji Dori is the Route 305 and Aoyama Dori, Route 246. See if you can find them on your map. Aoyama Dori becomes Tamagawa Dori at Shibuya Station.

Level Contributor
1,667 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where is Aoyama-Dori?

You need a simple tourist walking map - I have provided links to easy to follow ones below. Note, unlike google map, many tourist maps do not show North 'pointing up' - therefore I think this is the cause of your confusion.

On google maps:

Aoyama Dori is clearly written on my google map Route 246.

Meiji Dori is clearly written too, route 305.

Type Takeshita Dori into your google map. You will see Takeshita Dori outside Harajuku station running east-southeast joining Meiji Dori running roughly from north to south-southwest. You can see an intersection showing traffic lights on google map. Takeshita is a relatively short, very narrow shopping street, you can easily see it across the road as soon as you come out of Harajuku station. Note 5 minutes would be enough time spent on this street unless you are a teenager.

Shibuya HS? It means you are looking 1km too far south & lost, it's not on Meiji Dori.

Try these simple tourist maps (but remember north is not 'up' on these maps) www.gotokyo.org/en/campaign/map/index.html

or jnto.go.jp/eng/location/rtg/pdf/pg-305.pdf

4. Re: Where is Aoyama-Dori?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 December 2014, 06:18