We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best evening for bar hopping in Golden Gai?

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
274 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Best evening for bar hopping in Golden Gai?

I assume Friday and Saturday would be even harder to find a spot to sit at these tiny places, especially visiting with a group of four (two couples). Sunday would be perfect for us, but I'm worried that it may be TOO devoid of life as I've heard some bars are closed. However, I did see a list of "foreigner friendly" bars in Golden Gai which were open until midnight, 2 am, and even 5 am on Sunday. Or should we just try to go on a Thursday night? Or Monday might be an option.

Again, our best option would be Sunday evening, but if that's a weak night don't hesitate to tell me. Thanks!

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
24,598 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best evening for bar hopping in Golden Gai?

Sunday is just fine. It's still a busy night in Golden Gai.

Tokyo Prefecture...
Level Contributor
298 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best evening for bar hopping in Golden Gai?

Unless there's only one or two places you're interested in checking out, I wouldn't write off a Friday or Saturday night in Golden Gai just because you've got a group of four. Sure, some places get packed out, but I've never had trouble getting a seat with room to spare at one or another of the places i tend to hang out.

I blogged about Golden Gai recently: …wordpress.com/2013/… More of an atmosphere piece than a guide to specific bars...

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
274 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best evening for bar hopping in Golden Gai?

Thanks for the advice guys. Hey tokyoaaron, I read your piece and it only made me want to visit Golden Gai even more. Do you agree that Sunday would be fine too? If it was just me and my buddy, we would probably do Golden Gai every night, but our girlfriends may prefer a different vibe. We were going to do maybe Velours or Le Baron de Paris in Aoyama on Friday night, unless maybe Trump Room comes with a higher recommendation? Any thoughts? Then Saturday night, I really think our girlfriends would enjoy the vibe of Feria or Club Vanity. I know for sure none of us care about the totally insane and more for the younger crowd Womb or Ageha.

Edited: 10 December 2013, 01:15
Tokyo Prefecture...
Level Contributor
298 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best evening for bar hopping in Golden Gai?

Hey Sanjuro2,

Can't give you any firsthand advice on the clubs and lounges in Aoyama or Roppongi: too long away from anything like that scene. Golden Gai, sitting and drinking and talking with locals and visitors, is more my speed these days. In any case, I find Thursday to Saturday nights the liveliest for stepping out, though Shibuyakko, above, gives sundays a thumbs up.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
24,598 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best evening for bar hopping in Golden Gai?

I was just there this last Sunday and the whole area was packed.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
274 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best evening for bar hopping in Golden Gai?

That's great news Shibuyakko! Thanks!

7. Re: Best evening for bar hopping in Golden Gai?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2014, 05:18