We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tokyo for New Years?

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Tokyo for New Years?

Hey everyone, I am planning on visiting Tokyo late 06 early 07 & am now considering a New Year's Trip.

1) How much more $$$ can i expect to pay for hotels?

2) Will many attractions be closed during my stay (looking at 12/27/06 - 1/4/07)?

3) Is New Year's a good time to visit (first time in Japan)?

Thanks again to everyone helping me out on planning this trip.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tokyo for New Years?

12/31 is usually spent with family so many things are closed down (except for temples). As a rule, most Japanese hotels don't gouge based on demand the way that western hotels do. The rates are pretty much fixed during the year. The problem as I see it with your timeframe is going to be getting decent flights and fares. Have you investigated that?

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tokyo for New Years?

Yeah, at this time, fares are no different than normal, so that's no prob. Funny thing, even the flight that leaves on 12/31 from NY which (you miss both new years) is the same as the other dates. Sorry i wasnt specific with my question, but will everything be closed on 12/30, 1/2 etc or just on New Years?

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,004 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tokyo for New Years?

shops are closed on 1/1 (but Odaiba was open, shops and attractions). Some will start opening the next day, with huge sales. There are some new year "decorations" specific to Japan. Airfare high season ended on Dec 25 :) hotel rates might be marginally higher. That's my experience one time visiting between 27/12 - 4/1.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,004 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tokyo for New Years?

temples will be open for sure.

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Himeji, Kobe, Osaka
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tokyo for New Years?

I think New Years is in many ways an ideal time to visit because of the festival options you'll have. You should be able to get in quite a few wonderful festivals during that time. The only one I've been to in the Tokyo area is at Hachimanjingu in Kamakura. It's a gorgeous shrine, and when I went there was an archery demonstration.

John W.

6. Re: Tokyo for New Years?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 09:19