We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long term storage for luggage

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Long term storage for luggage

I'm planning to spend a few days in Tokyo before heading on a week-long Shinkansen trip to Kagoshima, stopping at a few cities along the way for a day or two each. I don't really want to haul all my luggage around with me, so is there any place in Tokyo where I could safely store my large bag for a week or two so all I have to carry is my backpack?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
49,817 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long term storage for luggage

Assuming you're staying in a hotel in Tokyo, they should be able to store it for you upon checkout.

Saitama, Japan
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Long term storage for luggage

Outside of Tokyo statioin on Yaesu side south, there is Rail Go Service Station.

Please refer to the youtube below for access. The way to the service station is missy.

http://youtu.be/84CmRK8By5M

Open 8:00 - 20:00

the 1st day to 5th day: Yen 410/per day per luggage

the 6th day to 15th day Yen 820/per day per luggage

(Maximum storage days are 15 days)

Contact Phone Number: 03-3231-0804

Japanse Website: tokyoinfo.com/guide/faq/faq004/faq011.html

Ike Sakurai (http://www.facebook.com/ike.sakurai)

United States
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long term storage for luggage

A lot of hotels will not hold bags for that long. (Of course, it's always worth asking.) Long-term storage in Tokyo gets kind of expensive. It might be cheaper to send it to your hotel in Kagoshima via takuhaibin, with a 1-week delay in delivery (you can usually specify delivery up to 7 days from the day you send it, but no more), and then send it from Kagoshima back to your last hotel in Tokyo. If it gets to your hotel in Kagoshima a day or two before you arrive, that will probably be okay with the hotel, but it might be a good idea to check.

Doing it this way you would have 2 takuhaibin charges that would probably total less than the storage cost in Tokyo, plus it might be handy to have your suitcase for a while when you are in Kagoshima.

Some information:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2278.html

http://www.kuronekoyamato.co.jp/en/

Saitama, Japan
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Long term storage for luggage

Sending luggage to/from Kagoshima by Takkyubin vs. Storage at Tokyo Station

Assuming the luggage size (width+height+length) is between 120 cm and 140 cm long and weight is between 15kg and 20kg, the transportation fee is Yen 2,000 for one way.

Transportation by Takkyubin: Yen 2,000 x 2 = 4,000

vs.

Storage at Tokyo Station: Yen 410 x 5 + Yen 820 x 2 = Yen 3,690 (If the trip days are 7 days)

I hope it help your decision.

Edited: 15 February 2014, 15:31
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,695 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long term storage for luggage

Take your bag to the convenience store around the corner from your Tokyo hotel, use post-dated baggage delivery service (up to 10 days) to send it to your hotel after your short trip. Cost 1790.

Edited: 15 February 2014, 17:22
United States
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long term storage for luggage

Bibimbob's suggestion sounds better than mine, for sure! I was unaware of a 10-day window being available. Are there any more details available online? I'd like to know more about this myself.

For that matter, if your trip to Kagoshima is in fact only 7 days round trip, then a 7-day window for takuhaibin would be enough for you to send it from the hotel where you are staying before you depart for Kagoshima to the hotel where you are staying after you get back to Tokyo.

Saitama, Japan
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Long term storage for luggage

I made small survey about how accurately packages are delivered on the designated date. Conclusion is that designated delivery date is not followed 100 % by some of operators, associated with some risk that the package is not shown up on expected date. It is not easy job for operators to find the target package from tons of packages tentatively stored in the deposit station. It is better for him to designate date a few days advanced to his check-in of the hotel and follow the status on line with the package code during his trip. Ike

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,695 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Long term storage for luggage

www.kuronekoyamato.co.jp/en/contact/faq/02/

"You can specify the desired delivery date (no additional fees are incurred). The desired delivery date can be specified for within one week after parcels have been entrusted. Please consult when applying."

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,251 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Long term storage for luggage

Much depends on the kind of hotel you are using. I have often left bags at the New Otani when I have been returning at the end of a short trip to another country without difficulty or charge. I would imagine any four/five star hotel would do the same.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Long term storage for luggage

Sending it ahead is an interesting idea. I might actually spend more than a week so it might be worthwhile doing that as opposed to storing it, and like Bearkun said it would probably be better to have the bag with me in Kagoshima. Besides, I don't plan on staying at very expensive 4/5 star hotels, so I don't think cheaper hotels would provide that kind of service.