We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I take train from Nara for NRT at night

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Can I take train from Nara for NRT at night

Hi, I have booked my Japan trip for March 11-18, planning to stay in Tokyo/Hakone 11-14, then Kyoto 15-16 and an excursion to Nara on the 17.

The question is, will I be able to take the train sometime late afternoon to Narita Airport straight from Nara on the 17? I have an early afternoon flight from NRT on the 18th and thought it will be less stress if I stayed at an airport hotel the previous night.

I bought my JP pass already. I don't seem to find a suitable train departing Nara in the afternoon. Any other suggestions?

thanks.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I take train from Nara for NRT at night

It depends on how you define late afternoon - www.hyperdia.com/cgi/en/search.html…

You could also stay in Tokyo the last night.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,019 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I take train from Nara for NRT at night

For good connections, you'd want to leave Nara by 3:54 PM, getting to NRT at 9:13 PM--the Narita Express from Tokyo doesn't run late at night because the airport doesn't have late flights. You'd take the Nara Rapid to Kyoto, the Hikari Shinakansen to Shinagawa (easier transfer to the Narita Express than at Tokyo Station), then the last Narita Express to the airport. This train (unlike most N'Ex) does stop in Narita City, in case you decide to stay there; you could visit Naritasan temple in the morning if you haven't seen enough temples already.

Or you could go as far as Shinagawa that evening (perhaps staying at the Shinagawa Prince, across the street from the train station: http://www.princehotels.com/en/shinagawa/ ) You could leave Nara as late as 7:12 PM, arriving at Shinagawa at 11:03 PM. From there, it's 70 minutes by Narita Express next morning.

Toronto
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I take train from Nara for NRT at night

Thanks, seem the 3:54pm train from Nara is the best option for me, although two connections need to be made.

The scheulde says arriving at track 8 in Kyoto and leaving at track 12, doesn that mean it is a very short walk?

It doesn't say anthing about the Shinagawa connection but you mentioned it is an easy transfer.

My concern is only that since I don't speak Japanese, is it easy to navigate through the stations between arrival and departure platforms? I don't want to miss the train because they are the last one heading for Narita Airport.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,387 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I take train from Nara for NRT at night

Please use www.hyperdia.com, specify your ARRIVAL time at Narita (not airport, since you are staying at a hotel). Uncheck airlines and Nozomi. Starting from 11pm and you will see a bunch of itineraries. Those involve a lot of transfers. Moving back earlier, you will see 16:24 Nara - Kyoto - Tokyo - Narita 21:38

Personally I would stay in Tokyo for the night and leave for the airport the next day.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
22,707 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I take train from Nara for NRT at night

One more vote for staying in Tokyo the last night.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,019 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I take train from Nara for NRT at night

This really is the minimum number of connections, no matter how or when you travel. But, like others, I do vote for staying in Tokyo.

I'm not familiar with Kyoto Station, but the Shinkansen platform looks close: http://english.jr-central.co.jp/info/station/ There will be plenty of English-language signage, and you will have about 15 minutes. Your Shinkansen ticket will show the car number, and signs on the platform will show you where to wait for that car.

At Shinagawa, it looks like the Narita Express leaves from track 13 or 14 (13 and 14 are on the same platform). http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/stations/e788.html I found this picture: http://tinyurl.com/NexSignShinagawa It's close to the Shinkansen platforms. Again, lots of English signage and about 15 minutes to find your way.

Just be sure you have the JR station in Nara, not the Kintetsu station!.

Edited: 25 February 2014, 23:30
Toronto
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can I take train from Nara for NRT at night

i know it probably makes sense to stay in Tokyo for the night, but I decide to stay at NRT because of two reasons

1) I will be probably tired from the trip and the last day, I just want to have a good night sleep before boarding the plane again and fly back.

2) My JR pass expires on the previous day before I fly. If I stay in Tokyo, there is additional cost for getting to NRT.

Thanks for the map and picture, they provide a lot of comfort!

8. Re: Can I take train from Nara for NRT at night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2015, 05:19