We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear in Tokyo

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
What to wear in Tokyo

This might be a stupid question but it's something I've been thinking about. What should I wear when in Tokyo? I'm going the end of July for a week and I don't want to stand out from the crowd. What does the 'normal' tourist wear when in Tokyo without standing out from the crowd? I was thinking about jeans and a t-shirt for the day, then smart jeans and short sleeved shirt during the evening. Would I be able to get away with wearing shorts and smart sandals during the day if it's too hot?

Thanks in advance.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
237 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear in Tokyo

July in Tokyo is usually very hot and humid.

Most Tokyoites are very well dressed and fairly formal. I recommend wearing lightweight, breathable clothing. The city is very walkable, so any shoes you feel comfortable doing lots of walking in would be good. Shorts and sandals are totally acceptable.

For more about Tokyo attire, check out my post: www.blaineanderin.com/2013/05/tokyo-style/

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,824 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear in Tokyo

You can wear whatever you like, but Tokyo is a city of business and the majority of the people will be wearing formal wear at offices. You are a tourist and there is no problem with that; unless the restaurants are really upscale with stars and reservation, there is no dress code. Because of the sometimes too strong air conditioners and general tendency of the public unwilling to show hairy legs that might disturb the others, >>jeans and a t-shirt for the day, then smart jeans and short sleeved shirt during the evening<< seem right in the city. Jeans can be a bit hot and heavy so perhaps pick light cotton pants, like those sold a UNIQLO.

Edited: 23 March 2014, 04:10
Tokyo
Level Contributor
319 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear in Tokyo

You don't have to worry about what to wear in Tokyo. There are so many peoples who want to stand out from the crowd. You can't outcompete them so easily. Even if you wear half torn T-shirt and half torn jeans, nobody will gaze at you nor remember you, we see such clothing quite commonly.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,824 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to wear in Tokyo

There are young heterosexual guys wearing skirts and they don't particularly stand out in Tokyo (especially around Shibuya). No, they are not Scottish.

Edited: 23 March 2014, 09:58
Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
35 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to wear in Tokyo

i agree with all the answers above, after my trip to tokyo. i don't think anybody will look at tourist(or anybody else) strangely because how we dressed, i've seen people wearing santa clause custom in march and nobody even look at him. lol.

Red Deer
Level Contributor
57 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to wear in Tokyo

Wear something light that will keep you cool, as you will be hot and sweaty if walking round. You will be hot in jeans,so I suggest shorts. Yes there are lots of business looking people but there are also lots of tourist, teenagers and generally people who wear whatever. I would not let it worry you. Wear what you will be comfortable in when it's hot and humid.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
655 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to wear in Tokyo

Summer in Tokyo is very hot and humid as you should be aware from others' comments by now.

Good to carry water and towel. Quick dry clothing would be a plus as it keeps you comfortable as well as dry from your own sweat... Uniqlo carries a lot of items for reasonable prices.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,404 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to wear in Tokyo

There will be countless convenient stores and vending machines around so you can purchase drinks easily.

It's fine to wear shorts in Tokyo actually. Nobody really cares what a tourist wears. It's only in your head that you need to conform so just be comfortable. I am not sure about sandals though as you will end up doing a lot of walking in Tokyo. Comfortable shoes with good support that won't give you blisters is a must.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to wear in Tokyo

Thank you for all of your help. I will buy some new t-shirts for my trip and some comfortable trainers/sandals closer to the time.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: What to wear in Tokyo

Hi, I will be in Tokyo from Wednesday next week. I'm checking the weather and it seems to be quite up and down - 26 then drops to 17 the following day. Is this correct?

I was only planning on bringing a cardigan and buying clothing there. Is this reasonable or would I need a jacket for the first day or so?

Thanks