We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 Hour Layover with 12 year old

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
539 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
10 Hour Layover with 12 year old

Hi,

I have a 10 hour layover in the Tokyo/Narita airport in July. I will be traveling along with my 12 year old son. Can someone suggest something fun and easy to take my son to see while we are there? Thanks in advance for your time!

Tokyo
Level Contributor
321 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 Hour Layover with 12 year old

①Naritasan Shinshoji tenmple

http://www.naritasan.or.jp/english/index.html

②Museum of Aeronautical Sciences

http://www.aeromuseum.or.jp/

③Asakusa, Akihabara, Shibuya, Harajuku needs train ride, 1 and half hour.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
50,457 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 Hour Layover with 12 year old

Narita (the city) would be the easiest if you just want a relaxing trip.

Asakusa does have Sky Tree if you your 12-year old is wowed by tall towers with an observation deck from a 100 floors up. You can reach Sky Tree directly from NRT airport by taking the Keisei train to Oshaige station. It takes about one hour.

Remember to get back to the airport no less than 60 to 75 minutes before your flight to ensure you have enough time to clear all formalities.

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
539 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 Hour Layover with 12 year old

My top pick out of the suggestions is Shibuya. Can someone advise me how to get there from Narita airport? Also, are we close at all to Asakusa or will Shibuya take up all my time? Thanks in advance!

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,048 posts
662 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 Hour Layover with 12 year old

I would say exploring Shibuya and Tokyo would be too tight to explore from Narita if you are not familiar with transport systems there. Narita would be safer bet.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,527 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 Hour Layover with 12 year old

I find it easy to get lost in Shibuya, but gettting there is easy. Take the JR NEX train direct from the airport (90 minutes). I don't know if you have enough time or not, but Asakusa is 30 minutes away from Shibuya direct on the Ginza line. If you did go there you could return by taxing a taxi to Ueno Keisei station, then Keisei Skyliner direct to the airport (41 minutes).

10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 Hour Layover with 12 year old

Info about Narita Airport Layovers and things to do:

…angloinfo.com/information/…

Kihei, Hawaii
Level Contributor
539 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 Hour Layover with 12 year old

I will probably visit an ATM before leaving the airport for Shibuya. Does anyone have an approximate amount of money that I will need to spend my 10 hour layover in Shibuya? Please factor in my son and father who will be traveling with me. Many Thanks!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,469 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 10 Hour Layover with 12 year old

I would rethink Shibuya-you will be spending 3 plus hours just getting there and back.. I don't really see Shibuya wowing a 12 year old boy

Why not just go to Uneo area (plus Asakusa if you want). Ueno is only 45 to 50 minutes from Narita Airport on the Skyliner

keisei.co.jp/keisei/…

Edited: 30 May 2014, 14:02
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,968 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 10 Hour Layover with 12 year old

As mentioned, it will be time consuming to get to Shibuya (it won't be a 10 hour layover but something like 5-7 hours layover, including airport access, check-in, etc). You can take JR N'EX to Shibuya from the airport station. As I don't know how much you'd be spending it's difficult to tell how much you should have in cash. With three people I suppose you'd be needing about 2,000 yenX3=JPY6,000 yen for average lunch and tea. You can pay for the airport access by credit card and shopping at larger stores. You might change 100USD into Yen and use the left amount for souvenir and snacks for the return flight.

Having said that, I think it can be more interesting to take the Skyliner to Ueno, check out Tokyo Skytree and areas around Sensoji, then have cheap sushi around Ameyoko between Ueno and Okachimachi, with perhaps a walk or metro ride to Suehirocho for Akihabara Electric Street and Yodobashi Camera.

Edited: 30 May 2014, 14:29
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,968 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 10 Hour Layover with 12 year old

I would recommend Ueno/Asakusa/Tokyo Skytree/Akihabara plan, as it's less time consuming for airport access, and as you get to see different aspects of Tokyo, the old and the new, the touristic and down-to-earth.

Edited: 30 May 2014, 14:31