We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it insulting?

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Is it insulting?

Supposed I had a reservation and eating at Sukiyabashi Jiro, is it insulting to the chef if I stop eating after a few pieces and said I already had enough? I'm curious because the world's most famous celebrity had sushi there last night and quit halfway.

1. Re: Is it insulting?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 25 April 2014, 08:09
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it insulting?

If a few pieces, it would be bad manners for sushi chef.

Actually 20 pieces of Sushi are much amount to eat. Jiro is skillful chef and I think he doesn't care about Obama's manner for eating his sushi.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it insulting?

How big are the pieces at Jiro's? I just ate 45 pieces at Sushiso Masa.

Edited: 25 April 2014, 08:13
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it insulting?

Size would be normal and almost the same with Masa. I've never eaten 45pieces of Sushi, you are big eater.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,020 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it insulting?

Most common criticism towards Sukiyabashi Jiro is that its masters are "arrogant" (to the extent that if one cancels the visit the master will cut the phone in anger), and sushi served there is not worth the price (which is a very subjective opinion).

"Foremost, first grade sushi restaurants are places in which first-class masters, having been trained for years, painstakingly procures the finest ingredients to provide the finest sushi. Unlike restaurants in general, eating sushi at those restaurants is a status for the customer; it means that the store side chooses the customers. That's why customers don't regret paying a premium rate; those who are familiar with taverns and family restaurants would naturally be confused. Patrons of Jiro are from the entertainment industry and business leaders, VIPs overseas. It is not an issue of good or bad, it can only be called one of such places"

It should be like a Dojo in which pupils are scolded for not being appreciative enough for the Way of Sushi or the Art of Sushi. Clients should know appropriate manners and what to expect when going to such places.

By the way, there is one inexpensive and sober looking sushi shop in Asakusa which has former Prime Minister Koizumi as one of the patrons. I admit that he had a certain sense needed for a successful politician as I see those rikisha men explaining to tourists that Kozumi born in the neighborhood is still fond of the life of the commoners, by pointing to that sober diner in the corner. Mr Abe inviting a VIP to Sukiyabashi Jiro reminds me of a pampered child- perhaps Mr Obama might have enjoyed sushi-go-round at Kurazushi better. Rumors are already circulating that Mr Obama had two cucumber rolls, two egg, salmon, sweetcorn, hamburg steak, roast pork, and orange juice at Sukiyabashi Jiro (which is probably a joke but who knows).

Edited: 25 April 2014, 08:36
6. Re: Is it insulting?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2015, 06:16