We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need 16 days of baggage storage at Narita

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Need 16 days of baggage storage at Narita

Hello,

I will be in Japan for 16 days in June with my partner. We want to store 2 large suitcases at Narita ariport while we travel around Japan. Does anyone know if the baggage storage counter at Terminal 1 (or terminal 2) has a maximum duration for storage? I know lockers are limited to a certain amount of days but not sure if we could use the over the counter service for 16 consecutive days of storage. We want to just drop the bags upon arrival and pick up on our way out of the country. We are not staying in hotels so storage at a hotel not an option. I've tried calling the counter at Terminal 1 but have not been able to reach anyone who speaks English. Appreciate any information anyone has.

Thanks.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need 16 days of baggage storage at Narita

1) Maximum duration for the cloak with staff is 30 days.

https://translate.google.com/translate…

2) Don't use the lockers.

3) I might suggest using the Takuhaibin delivery service instead (which should come up less expensive) to have your large luggage delivered to one place in Japan that you'd be staying at after 7-8 days (you might be wanting to recheck the luggage, take out something not needed, and put in new souvenirs from Japan) then to airport counter.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2278.html

Edited: 05 May 2014, 13:41
Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
334 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need 16 days of baggage storage at Narita

So basically it could work this way - you hand the luggage over to the Takuhaibin service the luggage at a service office at some point along the trip, and they deliver it to the airport a specified number of days later, where you can collect it before your flight? Can you just go to any convenience store and give them your bag, the Japan guide seems to indicate that?

Could you give us a rough estimate what this service will cost (is it per day?) e.g. for a 30 litre bag or a large suitcase? Unfortunately, Google screws up the website and I'm not sure if I understood correctly from the Japanese. Storing a big bag seems to be from 500yen/day. But what about having it delivered TO the airport and storing it beforehand?

Edited: 05 May 2014, 13:53
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
51,205 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need 16 days of baggage storage at Narita

Start here - http://www.kuronekoyamato.co.jp/en/

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
334 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need 16 days of baggage storage at Narita

I checked that website already, a large bag up to 20kg should cost around 1800Yen (e.g. from Kyoto to Narita) + >600Yen airport handling fee. But I haven't found anything about delayed delivery or storage - surely this is more expensive than just having it delivered within the standard time frame?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
51,205 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need 16 days of baggage storage at Narita

"Three charge levels apply according to baggage size (small, medium and large) but a standard suitcase (medium) is 520 yen. That amount is added for each subsequent day of storage."

https:/…svc_06.html

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
334 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need 16 days of baggage storage at Narita

Well, I don't necessarily want it to be stored at the airport (I got that part about the 520 yen surcharge). I was told that one could specify the delivery date when posting the package via takuhaibin. This kind of delayed delivery probably isn't related to storage facilities at the airport. What is the surcharge for delayed delivery (as opposed to express delivery)?

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
25,997 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need 16 days of baggage storage at Narita

Delayed luggage delivery up to 7 days is free. When you send, they'll ask what day you want the luggage to be delivered. This info is available only in Japanese, it seems (Q2):

http://www.kuronekoyamato.co.jp/qa/02.html

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Need 16 days of baggage storage at Narita

Thanks Yobeekool, for the translation of the baggage storage information. Our only option is to store at Narita, we are not interested in delivery service as cost less a factor, so I'm glad that's an option for 16 days straight at GPA counters. Appreciate your assistance.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
24,046 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need 16 days of baggage storage at Narita

- with selected courier services it's up to 12 days post-dated delivery

- with Yamato, sending it now (May 6 japan time), the latest date you can select for your flight is May 17. This is using their online delivery webpage(requires log-in) to schedule a collection today May6, delivery 17th

- storage for 16 days (charged by calendar day) costs more than using the delivery service 3 times, but it's your choice.

Edited: 06 May 2014, 02:39
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
24,046 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need 16 days of baggage storage at Narita

>> surely this is more expensive than just having it delivered within the standard time frame?

you are surely wrong.