We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opening Hours Okazu Yokocho?

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
334 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Opening Hours Okazu Yokocho?

When would be the best time to visit Okazu Yokcho? What time (and day) do the stalls/shops open and close?

United States
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Opening Hours Okazu Yokocho?

Click on the links on the Japanese web site shop list (link below) to get opening and closing times of each shop (most open at 9 or 10). I would probably go fairly early myself (late morning or early afternoon) to have the best selection and freshness. Towards closing time things will sell out, and fish can get kind of tired looking. But it sort of depends on what your objective is. If you just want to look around, you could go any time after most places open. Note that this really is a pretty small local place. There are not a huge number of stores, and although it may be interesting as an "everyday life" sort of place, it really isn't much of a tourist attraction. If you're going to Kyoto you will see much of the same sort of shop on a much, much larger scale in Nishiki Market. The area of stores outside Tsukiji Market also has a lot of similar vendors. (This is not to meant to demean the Torigoe neighborhood shops in any way.)

jec.ac.jp/work/…index.html

Yokohama
Level Contributor
934 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Opening Hours Okazu Yokocho?

Do you ask this shops?

gotokyo.org/en/kanko/taito/spot/s_165.html

Most of these shops open 10:00-19:00 but its vary.

They close on subday and holidays. some shops close on saturday.

Kanagawa...
Level Contributor
3,557 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Opening Hours Okazu Yokocho?

By store, closing time seems different.

The early store closes at 17:30.

The slow one shop closes at 19:00.

You can see data to be translated here.

Please click on each store.

jec.ac.jp/work/…index.html

gotokyo.org/en/kanko/taito/spot/s_165.html

United States
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Opening Hours Okazu Yokocho?

I should clarify that the shops in Nishiki Market (or around Tsukiji) are not larger stores (they are actually smaller), it is just that there are a lot more of them, and the range of products is more extensive and specialized. But the Okazu Yokocho place has a lot of character in a sense. If you really like it and want to extend your browsing to ordinary items other than food, you might want to go to Sugamo (characterized by Wikipedia as "a shopping street for the older generation (the area is known as the "Harajuku of the old ladies")). Yanaka Ginza is another place with old, traditional everyday shops. But Sugamo has red underpants.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
334 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Opening Hours Okazu Yokocho?

Thank you for your replies!

We'll be staying very close to that street, so we'll pay it a visit at least once to buy some food for dinner. It's more convenient than Tsukiji Market, which to my mind is a kind of slaughterhouse for fish with stalls attached. (It's not my intention to sound harsh, that is actually the appeal for most visitors, but...)

Edited: 07 May 2014, 13:54
United States
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Opening Hours Okazu Yokocho?

Tsukiji Market itself has been pretty much ruined as a tourist attraction because it really isn't equipped to handle hordes of tourists, even when they don't particularly misbehave. When I go to that neighborhood I don't even go into the market itself any more. (Twenty-five years ago, on the other hand, I thoroughly enjoyed it. But you can't turn back the clock.) I think the shopping areas outside the wholesale fish market are much more interesting, and they lack the "slaughterhouse" feel.

At least Okazu Yokocho, Sugamo, and similar shopping areas are not likely to be ruined by hordes of tourists. Yanaka Ginza is fairly popular, but it's still never likely to attract the crowds that Tsukiji currently does.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
334 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Opening Hours Okazu Yokocho?

You seem to be quite familiar with Sugamo - what is that area like in the morning? (The places with many elderly people that I have been to have an interesting atmosphere in the morning as most grannies seem to be early risers.) Probably not much in terms of nightlife, or is there?

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Opening Hours Okazu Yokocho?

Zayna S, I think you are recommended to state what you are looking for.

What you mean by "nightlife" is vague.

There are no clubs (or discoteques) in Sugamo, but it has izakaya taverns and the like, just like any other 30-40 stations in central Tokyo. It's also located just a few minutes from Ikebukuro, one of the centers of all things in Tokyo. People can drink & eat until morning at Ikebukuro if Sugamo does not satisfy them.

I live about 10 min walk from Okazu Yokocho. It's a quiet, forgotten, and retro street and has certain charms but perhaps very local and not something very interesting to tourist visitors unless you stay close from there. Closes early though. Asakusabashi area has more pot-in-the-hole taverns and diners which might appeal more to tourists. Yanaka Ginza is known for its retro family run shops and diners, reminiscent of good old days before large shopping malls in the suburbs.

The areas along the tracks between Ueno and Okachimachi are home to cheap shops and taverns. There are probably more ramen eateries around Akihabara electric street than anywhere else in Tokyo (tends to be chains though).

United States
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Opening Hours Okazu Yokocho?

I'm actually not very familiar with Sugamo. I was there just once, after going to the hydrangea festival at nearby Hakusan Jinja (which I recommend, if you are in Tokyo in June and like hydrangeas). I look a long leisurely stroll along the main drag in Sugamo and enjoyed the old-fashioned (but not self-consciously and artificially "retro") atmosphere; also, there happened to be a local taiko club event going on there that day, which was kind of fun. It was really kind of memorable, but I probably wouldn't go out of my way to go back just to see the shopping street. However, it is close to Rikugien garden (and Hakusan Jinja) and I might poke around there again if I happened to be in the area. I didn't think of it as a place exclusively for the elderly, although it is definitely not the sort of place youngsters would be interested in. I doubt if there are many people around in the morning before the stores open. To be honest, many people would find Sugamo a little depressing. But I think it's interesting to see many sides of Tokyo.

Edited: 07 May 2014, 17:01
Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
26,023 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Opening Hours Okazu Yokocho?

>>>To be honest, many people would find Sugamo a little depressing.<<<

Sugamo is not depressing at all. It's actually a fun place to visit, especially on the 4th, 14th and 24th of every month as they have a small festival on these days. The shotengai is packed with older people and many venders bring their specialities. If you're lucky and the queue at Togenuki Jizo is not too long, you'll have a chance to cleanse the Jizo and cure your ailments :-)

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3066.html

http://image.search.yahoo.co.jp/search?ei=UTF-8&fr=top_ga1_sa&p=巣鴨