We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Onsen for family with infant

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Onsen for family with infant

Hi there, my husband and I will be traveling to tokyo in June with our son just under 2 year old. We would like to have onsen together. Can someone please tell us which onsen in tokyo have private bath and how to book for it as they are mostly in Japanese language. Thank you

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,924 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Onsen for family with infant

No onsen place in Tokyo has a private bath, and I am not being mean. You'd have to go to at least Hakone or Kinugawa/Kawaji Onsen for that, in reality for someplace satisfactory for an overnight stay.

Edited: 09 May 2014, 13:57
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
696 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Onsen for family with infant

You might try staying a night in a ryokan in Tokyo, some such as Sawanoya have family baths that can be reserved by overnight guests (although these are not onsen, just large baths with very hot water which provide a similar experience but not onsen water).

I would say that we found most baths in Japan to be very hot and I would be wary of letting very small children to use them. My daughter who was 8 at the time couldn't go in, she found it too hot. There is also the likelihood of an "accident" at that age as no clothing is allowed in the baths (I'm assuming this applies to swim diapers and the like).

3. Re: Onsen for family with infant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2015, 06:17