We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is the best Japanese language school?

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
104 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Which is the best Japanese language school?

Hello,

My bf will come to Tokyo next Jan for his Japanese learning. He found out some Japanese language schools, such as: Meros language school, Tokyo Central Japanese school, ARC academic language school and Asia - Afica academic language school. You, guys who used to study at one of these schools or now live in Tokyo, can you let me know, which is the best language school we should choose?

Thanks in advance.

17 replies to this topic
Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
104 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which is the best Japanese language school?

hello, is there anyone? Please help me!

Idstein, Germany
Level Contributor
202 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which is the best Japanese language school?

Considering that this is a forum geared towards travelling your question might be a bit off-topic. I suggest this forum:

www.japan-guide.com/forum/quedisplay.html…

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
104 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which is the best Japanese language school?

Thank thenihonjin!

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
6,036 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which is the best Japanese language school?

Actually, there are a few good schools.

http://www.ala-japan.com/en/

http://en.kaij.jp/index.html

http://www.naganuma-school.ac.jp/

I have several friends who studied at these schools when they first arrived in Japan. Now they live here.....and speak the language. Good luck!

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
104 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which is the best Japanese language school?

Thank mamajeli so much

Barcelona, Spain
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which is the best Japanese language school?

Hi there,

I have been a student in two language schools myself and therefore know a bit what to look for and stuff. This is why I am doing an internship at Timpany Languages, a study abroad language agency, at the moment. What I heard when I talked to students that went to our partner school in Tokyo during my internship was that they had a good time. KAI Japanese Language School was the name of the school that is located in the center of the city. Maybe this helps you. If you have more questions, feel free to contact me. Most importantly, have a good trip :)

Barcelona
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Which is the best Japanese language school?

Hi Travelo,

I highly recommend you the school where I`m studying now. It`s located in the center of Tokyo, in Shinjuku. I`m very happy with this school, have a look:

http://www.jclischool.com/index-en.html

Good luck, がんばって!

Edited: 06 August 2014, 05:56
Philippine, The...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Which is the best Japanese language school?

Hi ! My friends and I studied on line English to Japanese School.You can try this out .www.senseiyory.com.They have a very flexible hours and has a lot of good teachers there..We had lessons through Skype there .

Try it out ;

musiclast

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
1 post
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which is the best Japanese language school?

You should avoid Tokyo Central Japanese Language School at all costs. The intensive course is (relatively) cheap, but your class will be full of kids (20 - 30 per class) just out of high school and in Japan for a fun time. The teachers will take a roll call for the first 15 minutes of the lesson - time that you have paid for to be learning. This roll call is not just taken during the first lesson either - it is taken periodically during the day. There will be another 5 - 10 minutes wasted while the teacher repeatedly tells the kids to stop talking. During the roll play sessions, the kids will pull out their phones and start texting and chatting to their friends. The teachers are nice and friendly - they just can't control classes of that size with students who are not there to study. The school is basically a visa factory. If you want to learn Japanese pay a little more and go to a school that doesn't sponsor or at least holds classes with a realistic number of students in the class. MLC in Meguro is a good school. More expensive but smaller classes.

Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Which is the best Japanese language school?

The best might depend on what you want! If you want small classes (3-8 persons per class), flexibility, cosy atmosphere and cultural activities on the side, then Coto Academy is by far the best!

I studied Japanese in two schools before enrolling there and was disappointed each time. I felt I wasn't learning practical Japanese. Always the same books, the same patterns and no progress in conversation or listening ability. Learning Japanese is not easy, and you need teachers who understand westerners minds (and linguistics!).

I tried all the type of lessons Coto Academy provide. Private lessons, flexible group lesson and intensive course. A lot of tourists come for few crash course, in order to visit Japan more easily, but we have businessmen, students, newly expatriates... I think every of their students have the exact same feeling: coto is the best.

I loved it, and I still enjoy going there. Plus they have a great website (www.cotoacademy.com).

If you want a student visa, however, you need a school who provide full course and who has the qualification for it.

Reply to: Which is the best Japanese language school?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted