We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Nino

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
El Nino

Hi, can anyone tell me how will El Nino affect Tokyo, I am concerning as I plan to have a trip during October.

Thank you very much.

1. Re: El Nino

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 June 2014, 11:34
Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
334 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: El Nino

scmp.com/news/asia/article/1510551/el-nino-i…

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: El Nino

It probably won't matter in October. The last BIG El Nino in the 1990's brought a cold summer. It was miserable. Consequently, Japan had a very bad rice crop and had to import rice from around the world. Conclusion: you can't make sushi with Thai rice! lol

El Paso, Texas
Level Contributor
364 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: El Nino

How about in the beginning of September, wife and I spending 12 days in japan (Tokyo, Hakone, Niko, Kyoto, Nara, Osaka) Sep 6th to the 17th?

Sorry to piggyback on your tread

Tanx

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,930 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: El Nino

Seriously, there is not one person who can state what weather will be like months from now,, El Nino or not. Look at historical averages easily found on many websites, then wait and see

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
154 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: El Nino

Doesn't El Nino make the weather dry in the Asian/Australian Pacific region? If so, isn't it technically a good thing for visitors for dry weather (no necessarily good for residents)? I wouldn't get why it would be a concern if it is.

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: El Nino

El Nino makes it wetter in Japan and drier in Southeast Asia. Asia is a very broad range, north to south. Our summer turns into "yuck." Need to go to Hawaii to find the sun!

…wsj.com/moneybeat/…

Predictions are to last through "fall" -- whenever that will be! Weather patterns no longer have patterns, so who knows? Today (June 28) is rainy and "cold" (25C). Tomorrow's forecast is for more rain and 30C!

September is considered to be the rainiest month as far as precipitation goes, due to typhoons. Then again, we had HAIL in Tokyo this week! So.......just bring an umbrella and water resistant COMFORTABLE walking shoes so you can splash and sing in the rain! Enjoy all the moments!

japantimes.co.jp/life/….U64IPCh9nww

Edited: 28 June 2014, 01:19
El Paso, Texas
Level Contributor
364 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: El Nino

Tanx mamajelli, will do!

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,189 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: El Nino

It's not simple enough as to say how the actual weather turns out to be in Japan with El Nino. It has little or no significance to normal tourists who would be worrying about tomorrow's rain or scorching sun.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
728 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: El Nino

The weather isn't uniform across Japan. September is supposedly the wettest month, but I was travelling around Japan for all of September last year and only caught one afternoon of light rain (in Hiroshima). It was certainly raining in parts of Japan in September and at least one typhoon hit (maybe more) - but it was always lovely weather wherever I was! So trying to plan a trip around what the weather *might* be is just impossible. There will be rain in September and October, but it might not be where you are. And if it is - well, grab an umbrella and continue to enjoy your trip. :)