We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get from NRT to Park Hyatt Tokyo on a Saturday

Charleston, sc
Level Contributor
112 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
How to get from NRT to Park Hyatt Tokyo on a Saturday

Our travel party consists of two adult and one 10 year old. We are American and I have never been to Japan.

We arrive at 3:30 on a Saturday afternoon. The Park Hyatt offers assistance in booking airport transfers. I'm having a hard time determining what we should book. Any help is appreciated.

Options:

Taxi Sedan - about $285 total

Private car - about $600 total

Airport Limo Bus (has a stop at the Park Hyatt) - about $76 total

JR Narita Express - about $100 total

Here are my thoughts:

I'm leaning towards the Taxi Sedan to ease ourself into Tokyo after a long travel day. I would prefer not to spend this much, but I'm thinking that it's money well spent to start our trip off on a good foot. However, I don't really understand the limo bus. I've read it's not a limo, just a bus. How do you know how many stops there are to our hotel? The train option seems a little overwhelming since we have never been there. I've travelled a lot, but the idea of taking public transportation after a long flight with a child seems like a bad idea.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
160 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get from NRT to Park Hyatt Tokyo on a Saturday

The limo bus is not like a regular public transportation bus, but more like a charter bus. They mostly travel to the surrounding neighborhood/ward and make stops at the popular hotels in the area. It's hard to miss which stop they are at since they drive right up to the front of the hotels.

Long story short, you take the limo bus to go straight to the hotel without any worries. Take the bus.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
24,591 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get from NRT to Park Hyatt Tokyo on a Saturday

The limobus is certainly the easiest option. However, I can almost guarantee that you're going to get stuck in heavy traffic on a Saturday afternoon. It may take ~3 hours to get to PH. In addition, the bus stops at several area hotels before reaching at PH, so it is slow going to begin with. To me, sitting in a small seat of the bus for 3 hours after a long flight is like a torture. I'm sure it's worse for a 10 year old. Private car/taxi is the same thing, minus the stops at area hotels.

I always take the NEX. It's actually nice to walk to train station and stretch your legs after a long flight. Seats in the NEX train is big and comfortable. I usually grab a can of beer/snacks and enjoy the ride. It takes 1.5 hours from NRT to Shinjuku. The fare is ~$45 for 2 adults and 1 child when you get special tickets for foreign tourists.

www.jreast.co.jp/e/pass/nex_oneway.html

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,591 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get from NRT to Park Hyatt Tokyo on a Saturday

One more thing. Once you get to Shinjuku Station, take the Hyatt shuttle from in front of L-Tower at West Exit or a taxi. If you're going to take a taxi, go out of Southern Terrace Exit. A taxi stand is right in front.

parkhyatttokyo.com/Contact/accsess_map_bus.p…

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,059 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get from NRT to Park Hyatt Tokyo on a Saturday

Shibuyakko is 100% right. If you want some to be certain that you don't get stuck in traffic for hours, NEX is the way to go in the afternoon hours.

Taking the train, once you get to Shinjuku, take a taxi. The shuttle bus stop is relatively far from the station. It will be confusing to find for first-time visitors. You can take the shuttle back to Shinjuku station later when you start exploring. Then you won't have to look for where the bus stop is.

Charleston, sc
Level Contributor
112 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get from NRT to Park Hyatt Tokyo on a Saturday

Thank you for the guidance. When we take a taxi from the Shinkjuku station to our hotel is there a taxi line that is obvious to get into? What is the chance the driver know English? Or, should we plan to have the hotel name written on a card?

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,591 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get from NRT to Park Hyatt Tokyo on a Saturday

As I said, go out of Southern Terrace Exit (easiest exit to use from NEX platform) and you'll find a taxi stand right in front of the exit. There might or might not be a queue. Every taxi driver should understand "Park Hyatt" as it's called the same in Japanese.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,059 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get from NRT to Park Hyatt Tokyo on a Saturday

You can always print out Park Hyatt in Japanese from the hotel's webpage just in case.

Southern Terrace is actually undergoing a lot of construction at this point. The access ramp (good for mobility-challenged folks and luggage with wheels) is no longer useable. It's actually easiest to use the South Exit.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,591 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to get from NRT to Park Hyatt Tokyo on a Saturday

The construction from platforms to Southern Terrace Exit is all completed. They are just working around the outside now. You could go out of South Exit but the taxi will be facing the wrong way. If you use the Southern Terrace Exit, the driver won't have to make a u-turn or detour along the way to PH.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,059 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to get from NRT to Park Hyatt Tokyo on a Saturday

I was just there 10 days ago. As I walked into the Southern Terrace exit (no ramp as mentioned), it basically just took me to the New South exit right across from the South exit.

It's very easy to cross the street at the South Exit as the pedestrian crossing with traffic light is right there. You can then avoid the taxi u-turn.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,365 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to get from NRT to Park Hyatt Tokyo on a Saturday

It's unrealistic for a 1st time visitor to find the hotel shuttle at Shinjuku station. We (and dozens of co-workers) always took the limousine bus because our "babysitter" was sick of having to rescue people lost inside Shinjuku station. We always arrived on Saturdays late afternoon. It always took 2 - 3 hours.

Limousine bus has porters for your luggage at the airport. Hotel staff comes to the bus to take care of the bags when you arrive at the hotel.

Any taxi stand at Shinjuku should be OK. If it's the wrong way, the detour is minimal.. Print out the access map on their website. If you say Park Hyatt the "Japanese" way, drivers will understand. Otherwise, say it a few times and some will eventually get it. That's the experience of our colleagues.