We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Four Questions in one post :)

Dubai, United Arab...
8 posts
Save Topic
Four Questions in one post :)

1) I'm thinking of taking/spending (Or just the budget.) around 5,000 ~ 7,000 $ as pocket money.

The question is, Should I carry it all cash? Or use take my Emirates NBD Debit Card?

Are there ATM's that I can use that are easily accessible ? What do you suggest I do ? (First time traveling).

2) What are things I should take care of (tips and warnings), Is there a site that will help give me few tips? As in "Don't go to --" "When going to --, make sure you get -- " "Never -- to a staff/restaurant"

3) Getting from Haneda Airport to my hotel in Tokyo, I'll land around 11pm (almost midnight), I want a fast transportation, So I'm thinking of just using a Taxi, I heard it will be around 3,000~12,000 yen, is that true?

4) Easy way to connect to the internet in Tokyo?

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
8,263 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Four Questions in one post :)

haneda-tokyo-access.com/en/…taxi.html

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2208.html

www.globaladvancedcomm.com/pocketwifi.html

jnto.go.jp/eng/…bow.html

Cary
Level Contributor
743 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Four Questions in one post :)

Haha Nao... :-)

Those links should answer most of your questions... For getting yen, it depends on what fees your bank charges. I have one bank that doesn't charge any ATM fees nor international fee, so for me, it's really easy to hit up a 7-11 ATM, Citibank, or Japan Post ATM and get a decent rate when I need it.

Kyoto, Japan
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Four Questions in one post :)

1. As long as your card has VISA, it should work on those machines.

www.jnto.go.jp/eng/arrange/essential/atm.html

2. Hostess club in Akasaka and Roppogi in Tokyo; may charge you $500 / $1000 for a few drinks.

3. if your hotel is in Shinjyku; the fare will be 10,600 yen.

http://goo.gl/djh0xF

4. hotel should have Internet. We have Internet Everywhere LTE: Current TA post is mostly correct.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294232-c177294/Japan…

Vermont
Level Contributor
3,512 posts
599 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Four Questions in one post :)

Alborz M >1) I'm thinking of taking/spending (Or just the budget.) around 5,000 ~ 7,000 $ as pocket money.

Am I missing something? Do you say how long your trip is? Personally, I don't think you need to bring that much cash with you.

ATMs are the way to go - 7/Elevens are just about everywhere. Japan Post is second best, not always open.

Do be sure to tell your debit card company that you will be using it to withdraw money abroad. You may want to increase the daily withdrawal limit if it is too low. And, as mentioned above, be sure you know the fees your debit card carries for cash withdrawal - our Visa has no fees and no foreign currency conversion fee so it's a no-brainer, but some cards do charge hefty fees so just to be certain do check.

Wellington
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Four Questions in one post :)

On the other hand there is no harm in taking large wads of cash. Japanese people offer carry around huge amounts by western standards. And unless you're really, really stupid it won't be stolen.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,827 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Four Questions in one post :)

The risk of carrying cash in Japan would be more due to you dropping some rather than being stolen.

There are buses and trains that go to Shinjuku station. The train combination takes about 50 minutes, while the bus takes just over an hour. Both methods cost a fraction of a direct taxi.

Edited: 22 July 2014, 04:12
Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
6,663 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Four Questions in one post :)

Be sure to split the money into different envelopes, ie don't have $2,000 worth of yen sitting in your wallet for everyone to see, although it's not uncommon to have $1,000's worth. I would stick to $500 or 50,000 yen or less in the wallet, and hide your other cash in another compartment of the bag you're carrying.

If you can get a "credit" card, ie VISA, Mastercard, (not debit) and do one time payment for all your items (which is the same concept as debit), it will be a lot easier. You won't have to carry that much cash as the "cash" will be in your bank account.

Good luck!

Vermont
Level Contributor
3,512 posts
599 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Four Questions in one post :)

mamajelli> "If you can get a "credit" card, ie VISA, Mastercard, (not debit) and do one time payment for all your items (which is the same concept as debit), it will be a lot easier..."

Just be sure that if you do use an ATM you do not use a credit card - I believe that most companies consider this a cash advance and the fees can be enormous.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,827 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Four Questions in one post :)

If you have a combined card that functions as both a debit and a credit, what hfot2 described could very much be the case. The credit card's primary account on an ATM is designated as cash advance. On many international ATM's, you won't even get the option of withdrawing cash any other way. Therefore, I now have a separate debit card that I carry only when I travel.

>>>Just be sure that if you do use an ATM you do not use a credit card - I believe that most companies consider this a cash advance and the fees can be enormous.

10. Re: Four Questions in one post :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2015, 06:15