We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JR Pass for subway

Level Contributor
54 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
JR Pass for subway

Hi I will be travelling to Japan for 2 weeks in Autumn. I was planning to get a JR Pass but wasn't sure if it would work on the subway just getting around Tokyo? I won't be doing a huge amount of long distance travel, just a day trip to Mount Fuji & a round trip to Kyoto. It's coming to €650 for 2 people, will I get my money's worth? Thanks

Cary
Level Contributor
743 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JR Pass for subway

It will only work on JR lines in Tokyo, not metro or private lines. Check this site for pricing/validity:

http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en001.html

Level Contributor
54 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JR Pass for subway

Oh great thanks. Would you be able to get around day to day sight seeing across Tokyo with just a JR pass or would we need to be buying other tickets a lot?

Cary
Level Contributor
743 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JR Pass for subway

depends where you want to see, but JR will take you to most places. Metro is more convenient for others, but tickets are cheap. I'd recommend getting a suica or pasmo card so that you don't have to worry about calculating ticket prices:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_003.html

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,604 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JR Pass for subway

Save your JR Pass for long distances. It costs about the same as round trip Tokyo to Kyoto. If you can do your Kyoto trip and one other trip (Tokyo to Fuji or Kyoto to Narita Airport for example) in seven calendar days, the pass will save you money and also give you the freedom for another excursion or two.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
49,756 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JR Pass for subway

Please post your completed day by day itinerary, including arrival and departure airports. Then we can advise as to which pass(es) are best for you.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
55,369 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JR Pass for subway

While JR train takes you to most places within Tokyo and even beyond, certain destinations (Asakusa, Roppongi, Odaiba, Tsukiji just to name a few) really require subway rides unless you fancy longish walks from JR stations. As mentioned, don't waste your JR Pass validity days for traveling within Tokyo unless you have extra unused days after planning the Pass to be used for longer journeys.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JR Pass for subway

For Kyoto from Tokyo, consider the Japanican Shinkansen e-voucher.

JR Group (former Japan National Railway) aren't the only railway companies in Japan. There are dozens of others, private enterprises as well as municipally run ones. You cannot use coupons for McDonalds at Burger King; the same thing can be said about JR Pass not being used at Keisei, Keikyu, Tobu, Tokyo Metro, Toei Subway, etc.

Level Contributor
54 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: JR Pass for subway

Thanks to everyone for your replies, it will be my first trip to Japan so it is taking some time to plan!

We arrive in Narita Airport at 9am on a Wednesday, staying in Ginza area. Plan to travel around Tokyo for a couple of days then go to Mount Fuji day trip on the Friday or Saturday. Travel to Kyoto on Sunday staying near the main station there. Probably do a couple of day trips to Osaka and maybe Nara and then the Thursday travel to Haneda airport for an early flight home Friday!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
55,369 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: JR Pass for subway

Which part of Mt. Fuji are you visiting? If you intend to go to Fuji Five Lakes are, then visiting as a day trip makes sense. If you are going to Hakone, Hakone is a short detour from Odawara, which is a Shinkansen stop between Tokyo and Kyoto. Therefore, it would make more sense to go Tokyo - Hakone - Kyoto in that case. You can either overnight at Hakone or continue onto Kyoto on the same evening.

If you use a JR Pass, activate it on Friday so it lasts until Thursday when you return to Tokyo.

Level Contributor
54 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: JR Pass for subway

Thanks for the tip, I was planning to get a 14 day JR Pass but it would be even better to only need a 7 day. Would I not need the JR pass to get from Narita to Tokyo?