We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

get terminal 2 from terminal 1 at Narita Airpot after 11pm?

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Topic
get terminal 2 from terminal 1 at Narita Airpot after 11pm?

My kid will stop over at Narita Airport in a week. The flight is supposed to arrive by 9pm at terminal 1, but in the past month or so this particular flight has always delayed by 1 to 2 hours. So most likely flight will not arrive until 10pm to 11pm.

I booked a hotel for him at Nine Hours Hotel Airport, located near terminal 2 (http://ninehours.co.jp/en/narita/). However, the free shuttle bus service between terminals 1 & 2 stops running at 10:30pm. (as posted on https://www.narita-airport.jp/en/access/terminal/index.html).

Also, it seems all the public transportation, bus and train, stops severing the Airport about the same time.

After searching on this forum, it was mentioned that it is almost impossible to walk from one terminal to another even they are in walking distance.

What options does he have to go to his hotel/terminal 2?

BTW, My kid speaks English and does not understand Japaneses at all. This is his 1st independent international travel at 17 years old.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
22,893 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: get terminal 2 from terminal 1 at Narita Airpot after 11pm?

He can always take a taxi. Here is the name and address in Japanese for the taxi driver:

ナインアワーズ 成田空港

〒282-0004 千葉県成田市古込字古込1番地1

成田空港第2旅客ターミナル隣接、立体駐車場第2ビルB1F

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: get terminal 2 from terminal 1 at Narita Airpot after 11pm?

Shibuyakko, thank you.

How to say " I want to go to this Hotel, here is the address" in Japanese. Google Translator gives me this "私はこのホテルに行きたい。ここでアドレスです。", is it right?

Will taxi drivers take US dollar bills?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,026 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: get terminal 2 from terminal 1 at Narita Airpot after 11pm?

Only Japanese currency is used in Japan. There are international ATMs at the airport. Read important information about Japanese ATMs here: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2208.html For peace of mind, you might want to buy some yen before your son's departure, even though it might be expensive.

If he just shows the taxi driver the address, the driver will know he wants to go there.

Shibuyakko, any chance that the driver will complain about such a short trip?

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,569 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: get terminal 2 from terminal 1 at Narita Airpot after 11pm?

There is nothing to say. He can't pronounce the sentence correctly anyway (unless he starts taking intense Japanese lessons now). Just give the address to the driver, in large print, and say thank you.

What is a taxi driver to do with US dollar bills? (same as a Chicago driver with JPY bills)

I took taxi trips of less than flag drop distance all the time, never an issue.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
22,893 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: get terminal 2 from terminal 1 at Narita Airpot after 11pm?

As mentioned, there are ATMs in the arriving lobby, but being 17, he might not have a debit card? If that's the case, you'll have to get some yen in the US or exchange at NRT. Currency exchange counters all close by 23:00, though.

narita-airport.jp/en/…t1

>>>>>Shibuyakko, any chance that the driver will complain about such a short trip?<<<

He might, but who cares? He won't complain in English, I'm sure, and he won't refuse a short distance ride.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,622 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: get terminal 2 from terminal 1 at Narita Airpot after 11pm?

The taxi is the way to go. I just wanted to add that you can walk between Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. I've done it myself, though there's no obvious path and it does involve walking through some big parking lots.

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: get terminal 2 from terminal 1 at Narita Airpot after 11pm?

Thank you all for your replies.

I have to admit that we did prepare early for his 14hours layover at Narita Airport. All problems are solved if we could book the other hotel, Narita Airport Rest House, close to terminal 1.

We did know all business would be pretty much dead around 11pm, or earlier. I can not image one person walks outside on no obvious path at midnight, even though terminals 1 &2 are in walking distance. What if it is dark and got lost? Then a 20 minutes' walk could become an one hour walk.

He has a Discover credit card with him. It is not widely accepted as Mastercard/Visa/Amex. Therefore I had the question if the taxi driver would take US bills. From my limited personal experience, I learned that some business in China and Canada took US dollar bills. I was just wondering if this could be the same way in Japan.

So it looks like he would have to get some Japanese Yen before he departures Shanghai, China for Narita, Japan on 1st leg of his journey. How much the taxi ride would cost? I am guessing 1000 to 1500 Yen, according to taxiautofare.com/jp/… assuming the taxi road distance is about 3 km.

One correction for my 2nd post. I meant to ask how to WIRITE " I want to go this place...." in Japanese, so he could put on a piece of paper. Anyway, this should not be an issue, just like bibimbob said. Hope the taxi drivers know as the Hotel only opened on July 20, 2014.

8. Re: get terminal 2 from terminal 1 at Narita Airpot after 11pm?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 09 August 2014, 15:41
Edited: 09 August 2014, 15:41
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,369 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: get terminal 2 from terminal 1 at Narita Airpot after 11pm?

Strongly suggest you get a more universally accepted credit card than Discover--Visa would be my first preference, then M Card

In Japan, as others stated, you must use Japanese yen if you are paying in cash. The fact some merchants in China or Canada accept US dollars (likely ripping you off on the exchange rate) is a totally unrelated to the issue.

Edited: 09 August 2014, 15:42
United States
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: get terminal 2 from terminal 1 at Narita Airpot after 11pm?

Discover cards are supposedly accepted by all merchants that take JCB cards, although I've heard that many of these merchants don't know that and you have to explain it to them. (They will say they don't take Discover, but if you can persuade them to try, the charge will go through, supposedly.)

https:/…q5

I haven't tried to use a Discover card in Japan, but I've seen threads about it on various forums in the past.

If I were you, I'd get him a small amount of yen (like maybe 10,000) before he leaves so he doesn't have to deal with that straight away the first night. Even if you have to accept the outrageously bad exchange rate at the airport in the U.S. before he departs, it would be worth it for the peace of mind of knowing he has a little bit of usable currency in his wallet. U.S. dollars are useless in Japan except for exchanging to yen.