We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nex or Keisei Skyliner

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
73 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Nex or Keisei Skyliner

Hey there guys i will be staying at Shibuya and i was just wondering which of this two options should i choose.

Keisei Skyliner= 5400yen Round Trip, 3 days Free transport on all Toei and Tokyo metro lines, 70mins, one transfer.

NEX Express= 4690yen Round trip, no free 3 days transport, direct, 90mins.

I cant seem to balance this two and see which one is more beneficial for me, please help me out,

I am going to Shibuya Shinjuku Ikebukuro Harajuku Odaiba Asakusa Ueno Akihabara Takaosanguchi Sugamo and i am not sure which of these lies on the Tokyo Metro/ Toei Subway lines and whether my locations will make full use of the free 3 days.

Thank you!

Cary
Level Contributor
743 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nex or Keisei Skyliner

If you don't mind changing, I think the Skyliner might be better for you. It should be quicker to get to Shibuya and while you won't use exclusively metro or kesei around Tokyo, you can certainly use enough of them to make it worth it I think. This is what you are talking about right:

https:/…20140717_keisei.pdf

Again, not all of the places you want to go will be on metro, but you can check hyperdia to get route information and see. It will also depend where you are starting for some destinations of course, for example, Ueno has both JR and metro (as do many others on your list):

http://www.hyperdia.com/

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,091 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nex or Keisei Skyliner

Neither would be a bad choice.

I think that Shinjuku, Ikebukuro, Harajuku, Sugamo and Akihabara are most easily reached by JR trains. Takaosanguchi is on the Keio line (Takaosan is pleasant, but I'm not sure it's worthwhile unless you've seen everything in Tokyo).

On consideration is time of day. If you will arrive during rush hour with luggage, you might prefer the convenience of N'Ex, even though it takes longer.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
171 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Nex or Keisei Skyliner

It depends on where you will stay.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
73 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nex or Keisei Skyliner

Thank you JapanPhotoGuide, may i please know which of these stations will lie on the lines that have free transport?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
73 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nex or Keisei Skyliner

Thank you Roger, im arriving at 10.35 at Narita! So which one do you think is more suitable, may i know which of the stations are eligible for the free 3 day transport?

Cary
Level Contributor
743 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nex or Keisei Skyliner

I'm a big believer in... give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish... please use japan-guide.com to check access information. For example:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3003.html

bc i'm in a good mood :-) there all have metro (subway) close by: Shibuya Shinjuku Ikebukuro Harajuku (although station is meji jingumae) Asakusa Ueno Akihabara

please use hyperdia and japan-guide to figure things out from there :-)

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,187 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nex or Keisei Skyliner

In terms of NEX vs Skyliner, value-wise, you need to determine how much travel you will use on the Tokyo subway system.

Speed-wise, Skyliner + a transfer could be quicker than NEX direct to Shibuya. However, you do have to make a transfer at Nippori (which is very simple).

Personally, I would probably choose NEX but if I have just happened to miss one, I will then happily switch to the Skyliner. Also, note that NEX ticket lines at NRT could be longer than Keisei's so check how much time you have until the next train departs (use the electronic displays in the station area).

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,530 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nex or Keisei Skyliner

Shibuya ward is fairly big. Where are you staying?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46,487 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nex or Keisei Skyliner

Assuming you are saying in a hotel or hostel, their should be an access page on their website.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
73 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nex or Keisei Skyliner

Thank you all for your kind replies, i am staying at Dogenzaka 2 Chome, Shibuya.

I am confused, by tokyo metro line do they mean any station? Or particular ones like the toei,seibu,keio line?

Or all stations in central tokyo including all the various lines.