We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7D6N itinerary- please comment

Singapore
Level Contributor
69 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
7D6N itinerary- please comment

Please review my draft itinerary for 7 days in Tokyo:

13Sep14

1045: arrive in Narita, travel to Shin Okubo Sekitei at Shin Okubo

estimate to arrive at the ryokan latest 1pm (or 2pm?)

I am considering the option below:

1) Asakusa, Ueno, Akihabara

2) Shinjuku

Question: If I opt for Option 1, will it be too much of a rush? And also considering I am taking an overnight flight, is it too packed with activities? If I opt for Option 2, can I add in some other place for this day?

14Sep14:

If option 1 is chosen above, I will visit Harajuku, Shibuya and Shinjuku

If option 2 is chosen above, I will visit Asakusa, Ueno, Harajuku and Shibuya

15Sep14:

2D1N in Hakone

16Sep14:

Check out of hotel at 1000

Question: I am thinking if Gotemba Premium Outlet is worth a visit, I will be purchasing the Hakone free pass, and it seem like traveling back to Shinjuku from Gotemba is rather complicated and will take a long time if I were to use the free pass, should I just give Gotemba a pass?

If Gotemba is to be skipped, it leaves my day empty for a destination in Tokyo (but not sure where.. suggestions?)

17Sep14:

Disneysea

18Sep14:

Tsukiji market

Ginza

Odaiba

Tokyo tower

19Sep14:

Last day to do last minute shopping

I would like to visit the attractions in the same area on the same day, to prevent travelling back and forth.

Appreciate all comments. Thanks in advance.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,530 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7D6N itinerary- please comment

It's a solid itinerary. I'm sure it would work fine with no adjustments. Some comments though:

- Are you staying at a ryokan/onsen in Hakone? If not, you might consider day trips to Kamakura and Nikko instead. - http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2164.html

- I'm a guy who doesn't like shopping much, so take this with a grain of salt. I can't think of anything interesting about outlet malls. Shopping in Tokyo would be much more fun, IMO. Again, consider the above day trips instead.

Singapore
Level Contributor
69 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7D6N itinerary- please comment

Hello GaijinMike,

Thank you for your reply.

I will be staying at Hakone for a night, hence was wondering if I should make a trip to Gotamba the next day or to just return back to Shinjuku.

I am still wondering if I should visit Asakusa, Ueno and Akihabara on my 1st day or to just hang out at Shinjuku/ Ikebukuro.

Any suggestions?

If I were to cover Asakusa, Ueno, Akihabara and Harajuku and Shibuya in 1 day, will it be too packed?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,530 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7D6N itinerary- please comment

Boy, I really hate answering itinerary questions. I try to limit my comments to just obvious things, or to pointing out alternatives that might be preferable.

That's way too much in one day. It really depends on your pace, how much shopping you are doing and what else you are doing.

These estimates do not include any rest time:

Asakusa - 2-3 hours if not shopping

Ueno - 2-3 hours if not going to the zoo or any museums, or shopping

Akihabara - depends on your interest; if you visit one gaming store, one electronics store and walk around a bit, maybe 3 hours?

Harajuku - depends on how you define it. On a weekday you could visit Takeshita Dori in an hour. If you include Meiji Jingu, Ota Museum and Omotesando it would take at least 4 hours.

Shibuya - just window shopping and people watching? 2-3 hours

Of all those, I'd skip Ueno if you don't have a strong interest in any specific attraction. You might be able to do the rest depending on the previously mentioned factors.

Edited: 14 August 2014, 14:30
Singapore
Level Contributor
69 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7D6N itinerary- please comment

Hi GaijinMike,

Thanks for your prompt response!

Day 2 seems too packed. Will probably space out the itinerary and visit Asakusa and Ueno on Day 1 then. Will visit Ueno mainly for Ameya Yokocho only.

In any case, I can be flexible with the itinerary when I am there. :)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,530 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7D6N itinerary- please comment

Flexibility is always best!

6. Re: 7D6N itinerary- please comment

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2015, 06:16